GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cucumbers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/171325-cucumbers.html)

KINAISAAC1943 24-02-2008 11:07 AM

Cucumbers

I am trying to grow cucumbers in pots for my greenhouse, I use seed compost and three" fiber pots I put them on a cool window as soon as they start to shoot, they come good but when they get to 3/4ins fast and then they just seem to collapse and die what am I doing wrong

enigma 24-02-2008 03:43 PM

Cucumbers

KINAISAAC1943
wrote in :

I am trying to grow cucumbers in pots for my greenhouse, I
use seed compost and three" fiber pots I put them on a cool
window as soon as they start to shoot, they come good but
when they get to 3/4ins fast and then they just seem to
collapse and die what am I doing wrong

what temperature is the greenhouse? is the compost
sterilised?
cucumbers are a hot weather crop. the seedlings need to be
warm (above 70F). if your greenhouse or the 'cool windowsill'
is much below 68F they're getting too cold. are you getting
fungus or just falling over wilting?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

KINAISAAC1943 24-02-2008 11:42 PM

It is not to cold, they grow so fast like 4" in just eight days I put them on the window to stop them bolting but this did not work I keep them just over damp the stalks are long but the leaves are big and that makes them top heavy so they just collapse

Billy[_4_] 25-02-2008 06:46 AM

Cucumbers

In article ,
KINAISAAC1943 wrote:

enigma;775973 Wrote:
KINAISAAC1943
wrote in :
-

[...]

Have you hand pollinated them? I doubt you have many bees in your
greenhouse.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

KINAISAAC1943 25-02-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] (Post 776107)
In article ,
KINAISAAC1943
wrote:

enigma;775973 Wrote:
KINAISAAC1943

wrote in :
-

[...]

They are not in the greenhouse they are on the window by day and in the bathroom by night, I think it could be the double glazing not letting the sun rays in only the light.

Mel M Kelly 25-02-2008 09:54 PM

Cucumbers

Sounds like it dampening off. Try covering the top of the soil with
something that don't hold moisture even sand. I think it is a fungas
that lives in the damp soil. Google dampening off.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley