Old 24-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Cucumbers

I am trying to grow cucumbers in pots for my greenhouse, I use seed compost and three" fiber pots I put them on a cool window as soon as they start to shoot, they come good but when they get to 3/4ins fast and then they just seem to collapse and die what am I doing wrong
Old 24-02-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cucumbers

KINAISAAC1943
wrote in :

I am trying to grow cucumbers in pots for my greenhouse, I
use seed compost and three" fiber pots I put them on a cool
window as soon as they start to shoot, they come good but
when they get to 3/4ins fast and then they just seem to
collapse and die what am I doing wrong

what temperature is the greenhouse? is the compost
sterilised?
cucumbers are a hot weather crop. the seedlings need to be
warm (above 70F). if your greenhouse or the 'cool windowsill'
is much below 68F they're getting too cold. are you getting
fungus or just falling over wilting?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 25-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Talking

They are not in the greenhouse they are on the window by day and in the bathroom by night, I think it could be the double glazing not letting the sun rays in only the light.

Old 25-02-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds like it dampening off. Try covering the top of the soil with
something that don't hold moisture even sand. I think it is a fungas
that lives in the damp soil. Google dampening off.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley