GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can you identify this fruit/tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/17139-can-you-identify-fruit-tree.html)

joe s 21-04-2003 11:08 PM

can you identify this fruit/tree

i have a tree that has alot of bright red fruit on it each year

http://65.35.65.115:81/garden.html

can you identify it? the fruit almost looks like a pumpkin shaped cherry.

i was told by a local guy that it was some sort of oriental cherry, in fact,
he picked some and ate them.

if this is true, can i treat them like regular cherries? fully edible and
used in cooking?

thnx for any info..

paghat 21-04-2003 11:56 PM

can you identify this fruit/tree

In article , "joe s"
wrote:

i have a tree that has alot of bright red fruit on it each year

http://65.35.65.115:81/garden.html

can you identify it? the fruit almost looks like a pumpkin shaped cherry.

i was told by a local guy that it was some sort of oriental cherry, in fact,
he picked some and ate them.

if this is true, can i treat them like regular cherries? fully edible and
used in cooking?

thnx for any info..

I never saw anything like them, but good golly they're pretty.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

joe s 22-04-2003 03:44 AM

can you identify this fruit/tree

thats great! my wife wanted to, just wanted to make sure :)

Tracey wrote in message
Hey, one I know! Surinam cherries. My neighbor makes
jelly out of them. :)

Tracey

Tracey 22-04-2003 07:08 AM

can you identify this fruit/tree

thats great! my wife wanted to, just wanted to make sure

She ends up picking the ones off of a couple of small trees
in my yard and making a few jars at a time and gives one to
us. It's a very delicate taste, very pale jelly. The taste
reminds me of apple butter with just a hint of a cherry
undertaste. :)

Tracey