Old 21-04-2003, 11:08 PM
joe s

Default can you identify this fruit/tree

i have a tree that has alot of bright red fruit on it each year

http://65.35.65.115:81/garden.html

can you identify it? the fruit almost looks like a pumpkin shaped cherry.

i was told by a local guy that it was some sort of oriental cherry, in fact,
he picked some and ate them.

if this is true, can i treat them like regular cherries? fully edible and
used in cooking?

thnx for any info..

Old 21-04-2003, 11:56 PM
paghat

In article , "joe s"
wrote:

i have a tree that has alot of bright red fruit on it each year

http://65.35.65.115:81/garden.html

can you identify it? the fruit almost looks like a pumpkin shaped cherry.

i was told by a local guy that it was some sort of oriental cherry, in fact,
he picked some and ate them.

if this is true, can i treat them like regular cherries? fully edible and
used in cooking?

thnx for any info..

I never saw anything like them, but good golly they're pretty.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 22-04-2003, 03:44 AM
joe s

thats great! my wife wanted to, just wanted to make sure

Tracey wrote in message
Hey, one I know! Surinam cherries. My neighbor makes
jelly out of them.

Tracey

Old 22-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Tracey

thats great! my wife wanted to, just wanted to make sure

She ends up picking the ones off of a couple of small trees
in my yard and making a few jars at a time and gives one to
us. It's a very delicate taste, very pale jelly. The taste
reminds me of apple butter with just a hint of a cherry
undertaste.

Tracey