Old 26-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered User

Question National Beanpole Week, and hazel beanpoles

Hi all,

I'm going along to National Beanpole Week's grand launch at the Green Wood Centre near Ironbridge, Shropshire on Sat 19th April - 11am-4pm (a celebration of British coppiced woodland which is going to encourage us to use hazel beanpoles and other coppicewood products more in the garden).

Gardening groups, etc., are running smaller events across the country - more info on http://www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk or phone 01952 432769).

When I'm there, I want to find out more about using British coppiced beanpoles and other coppicewood products in the garden (and hopefully the live music and pig roast will be good too!).

I always thought bamboo was best for beanpoles. Then I got reading and learnt how 90% of our coppiced woodland has disappeared over the last 100 years - and how that's bad news because this woodland provides a local, eco-friendly, sustainable source of wood, provides jobs, provides an amazing habitat for wood violets, primroses, nightingales and warblers, and keeps loads of our ancient traditions alive.

And by using hazel coppicewood beanpoles, we can help prevent our coppiced woodlands disappearing altogether. So coppice beanpoles sound like a good idea for the environment, etc.

However, I haven't actually met anyone who has used hazel coppicewood beanpoles made or similar, although Monty Don says he's really supportive of coppiced wood products. Also, I saw on the web that they give better grip than bamboo to runner beans. Do any of you have any experience or tips with coppicedwood beanpoles you're able to share with me as I'm planning to buy some at the event.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered User

National Beanpole Week 2009 is taking place 25 April-3rd May -see http://www.beanpoles.org.uk for more. Bob Flowerdew is supporting this year's event.