GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hens & Chicks in stone wall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173026-hens-chicks-stone-wall.html)

Ed 15-04-2008 06:28 AM

Hens & Chicks in stone wall

I have a large Hens & Chicks and I would like to move some of the small
"Chicks" into cracks in a stone retaining wall. Can I just transplant
cuttings directly, or do they need to be rooted first?

Thanks

Ed

MaryL 15-04-2008 08:17 AM

Hens & Chicks in stone wall

"Ed" wrote in message
m...
I have a large Hens & Chicks and I would like to move some of the small
"Chicks" into cracks in a stone retaining wall. Can I just transplant
cuttings directly, or do they need to be rooted first?

Thanks

Ed

There are several varieties of hen & chicks, but most of them root readily.
I have even found single leaves that broke off that have rooted in tiny
spaces. So, I would think yours would root if you break off a good-sized
stem and insert that firmly in the soil in the "cracks" you described.

MaryL