Old 15-04-2008, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Hens & Chicks in stone wall

I have a large Hens & Chicks and I would like to move some of the small
"Chicks" into cracks in a stone retaining wall. Can I just transplant
cuttings directly, or do they need to be rooted first?

Thanks

Ed

Old 15-04-2008, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ed" wrote in message
m...
I have a large Hens & Chicks and I would like to move some of the small
"Chicks" into cracks in a stone retaining wall. Can I just transplant
cuttings directly, or do they need to be rooted first?

Thanks

Ed

There are several varieties of hen & chicks, but most of them root readily.
I have even found single leaves that broke off that have rooted in tiny
spaces. So, I would think yours would root if you break off a good-sized
stem and insert that firmly in the soil in the "cracks" you described.

MaryL