Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-04-2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Books

A kind poster said I directed him/her to "Omnivore's Dilemma"
and "Teaming with Microbes" and is enjoying the former and
preparing to read the later. "Teaming with Microbes" is
important in understanding humanity's impact on soil whether you
garden or not. "Omnivore", though, takes you places where you've
never been and explains thing that you never thought of and in
doing so gives an incredibly enabling overview of human nutrition,
or the lack of it, additionally, it is also a real page turner. I feel
fortunate to have read it.

There are two other books that I would like to recommend that also
deal with the biosphere, both are crammed with information that
seems to flow effortlessly from the books, and they are both by
Jared Diamond. The first is "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human
Societies" which, in part, traces the development of our food
supply. You will see the world with new eyes.
http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Ste...393061310/ref=
pd_sim_b_img_1

The other book is "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or
Succeed", which exhibits societies from the Bitterroot Valley of
Montana, to the Viking outposts of Greenland, to the ancient land
of Australia that show good stewardship of the land and those that
didn't. A wonderful read.
http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Socie...d/dp/B000IJ7Q3
2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208368189&sr=1-1

Both these books are real page turners and you will feel much
wiser for having read them.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie