GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Just arrived (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/173521-just-arrived.html)

whis4ey 25-04-2008 04:00 PM

Just arrived

My first post, so I don't know anybody :)
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc? :)

suemack 25-04-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whis4ey (Post 786595)
My first post, so I don't know anybody :)
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc? :)

I thought at first you must live in the scottish borders! We have probs. with hares and rabbits - took advise and surrounded plants affected with wooden scewer sticks (50p a packet from supermarkets) this worked for a while until they worked out they could just pull them out of the ground. The only other way i have found is on precious plants i use the expanding willow trellis around the plant - they haven't as yet worked out how to pull this out!
The only plus , at least around here once the grass starts growing properly they don't bother coming into the gardens!

whis4ey 25-04-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suemack (Post 786597)
I thought at first you must live in the scottish borders! We have probs. with hares and rabbits - took advise and surrounded plants affected with wooden scewer sticks (50p a packet from supermarkets) this worked for a while until they worked out they could just pull them out of the ground. The only other way i have found is on precious plants i use the expanding willow trellis around the plant - they haven't as yet worked out how to pull this out!
The only plus , at least around here once the grass starts growing properly they don't bother coming into the gardens!

I suppose it is only the fresh new shoots which they eat, so later on all should be well
It is just such a pain having to ring everything with netting wire or such at a time when there is so much more to be done in the garden
This is my new vegggie bed this year
We have been having such a lot of rain this past couple of years that some of my veggies were drowing and dying because of the much higher water table
This should help with drainage

Bill[_13_] 25-04-2008 07:29 PM

Just arrived

In article ,
whis4ey wrote:

My first post, so I don't know anybody :)
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese
maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc? :)

Dried blood is expensive. I mix it with bone meals when I plant bulbs.

Here is dried blood used as a deterrent for rabbits.

http://ifplantscouldtalk.rutgers.edu/planttalk/article.asp?ID=13

Welcome!

Bill who has lots of Japanese maples about and rabbits never a problem
just deer.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA