Old 25-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Northern Ireland
Default Just arrived

My first post, so I don't know anybody
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc?
Old 25-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis4ey View Post
My first post, so I don't know anybody
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc?
I thought at first you must live in the scottish borders! We have probs. with hares and rabbits - took advise and surrounded plants affected with wooden scewer sticks (50p a packet from supermarkets) this worked for a while until they worked out they could just pull them out of the ground. The only other way i have found is on precious plants i use the expanding willow trellis around the plant - they haven't as yet worked out how to pull this out!
The only plus , at least around here once the grass starts growing properly they don't bother coming into the gardens!
Old 25-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemack View Post
I thought at first you must live in the scottish borders! We have probs. with hares and rabbits - took advise and surrounded plants affected with wooden scewer sticks (50p a packet from supermarkets) this worked for a while until they worked out they could just pull them out of the ground. The only other way i have found is on precious plants i use the expanding willow trellis around the plant - they haven't as yet worked out how to pull this out!
The only plus , at least around here once the grass starts growing properly they don't bother coming into the gardens!
I suppose it is only the fresh new shoots which they eat, so later on all should be well
It is just such a pain having to ring everything with netting wire or such at a time when there is so much more to be done in the garden
This is my new vegggie bed this year
We have been having such a lot of rain this past couple of years that some of my veggies were drowing and dying because of the much higher water table
This should help with drainage
Old 25-04-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
whis4ey wrote:

My first post, so I don't know anybody
Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese
maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc?

Dried blood is expensive. I mix it with bone meals when I plant bulbs.

Here is dried blood used as a deterrent for rabbits.

http://ifplantscouldtalk.rutgers.edu/planttalk/article.asp?ID=13

Welcome!

Bill who has lots of Japanese maples about and rabbits never a problem
just deer.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

[IMG] code is On

Muffin - plant arrived! Lori Ponds 1 26-06-2003 12:44 PM
Fork and Spade order arrived torgo Roses 1 06-05-2003 03:32 PM
John Cabot arrived! Kim Roses 1 24-04-2003 08:20 PM
Spring has definately arrived in our garden subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 11:20 PM
Shumway order arrived Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 2 30-03-2003 07:20 PM