Old 21-05-2008, 05:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife,rec.gardens

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, If look could kill

Whenever were hear crows, jays and even chickadees raising a ruckus this
time of year, we need look no farther than the Wood Duck nesting box.

Old 21-05-2008, 01:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife,rec.gardens

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

Whenever were hear crows, jays and even chickadees
raising a ruckus this time of year, we need look no
farther than the Wood Duck nesting box.
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

That's the cutest scary thing I have ever seen. I have been thinking of
trying to make friends with an owl or two to see if I could get one to eat
my neighbors cats.

Old 21-05-2008, 03:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife,rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:

Whenever were hear crows, jays and even chickadees raising a ruckus this
time of year, we need look no farther than the Wood Duck nesting box.

If I was to put up a box like that in my yard it would be taken over by
squirrels within days and no bird would have a chance against them. I put
up a dozen hexagonal and octagonal boxes of my own design -- cedar wood and
copper-covered roofs. Almost immediately I found the squirrels remodeling
them to make the openings large enough to enter. I tried covering the
fronts with polycarbonate shields with appropriate sized holes over the
originals figuring that even squirrel incisors couldn't chew bulletproof
plastic but in a couple of cases they just chewed their way in from the
side. For now I've given up, at least until I can figure a way to weld up
bird boxes from steel plate.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 21-05-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife

On May 21, 8:38*am, John McGaw wrote:
Jack Schmidling wrote:

[...]

Last Year I saw a robin that drove off any squirrel that came into the
yard! Must have had a next nearby!
Old 21-05-2008, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife,rec.gardens

"John McGaw" wrote in message

Jack Schmidling wrote:

Whenever were hear crows, jays and even chickadees
raising a ruckus this time of year, we need look no
farther than the Wood Duck nesting box.

If I was to put up a box like that in my yard it would be
taken over by squirrels within days and no bird would
have a chance against them. I put up a dozen hexagonal
and octagonal boxes of my own design -- cedar wood and
copper-covered roofs. Almost immediately I found the
squirrels remodeling them to make the openings large
enough to enter. I tried covering the fronts with
polycarbonate shields with appropriate sized holes over
the originals figuring that even squirrel incisors
couldn't chew bulletproof plastic but in a couple of
cases they just chewed their way in from the side. For
now I've given up, at least until I can figure a way to
weld up bird boxes from steel plate.

You could look for a large can of something at the market and empty the
contents through a hole made with a can opener. Storage tins, tea or coffee
pots, metal containers at flea markets. Try Google
http://www.createforless.com/Norther...utm_medium=cse

AJ

Old 24-05-2008, 01:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.birds,rec.gardens,rec.animals.wildlife,rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:

If I was to put up a box like that in my yard it would be taken over by
squirrels within days and no bird would have a chance against them.

Screech owl are not the average bird. Squirrels make regular attempts
to take over the box but sooner or later, the olws move in and the
squirrels vacate.

js