Old 22-05-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Here's The Ultimate, 'Take-You-By-The-Hand' Manual For Creating &Managing Your Own

Dear Organic Garden lover,

When I was a little girl I spent most school holidays with
my grandparents. We lived many hours drive from them, so I was always
excited to be going to stay for a week or two.

I have many warm memories of wandering around after my
grandpa in the garden. He'd talk to me about this plant and that,
showing me how to look after them, when to pick them and even how to
store them. He'd let me plant seeds with him. And of course there was
the feeding of the chooks and collecting the 'googs' as we'd call
them.

My favourite part of the day was mid-morning when we'd
ritually go pick our oranges. We'd bring them into grandpa's work
shed, slice them and slurp away! They had a Valencia tree and a Navel,
so there were oranges ready to pick almost all year round. Their home
grown fruits and vegetables tasted so much better than what I was used
to at home (my parents didn't really care much for gardening, so
pretty much all of our food came from the supermarket).

It was those cherished times spent with my grandpa that
gave me my love of gardening. But when I finally bought my own home,
some years later and started to garden - well let's just say that I
didn't have a green thumb. It was embarrassing! Surely there's a
gardening gene passed on from generation to generation? Even if it
skipped a generation that should have still worked out for me.

Several seasons in a row I started out with so much
enthusiasm, only to watch my veggies start off OK, then become
straggly and wither, or bolt straight to seed. What was I doing
wrong???

When I think back now on those early years I can see clearly
each and every mistake.... well it's the bleeding obvious ones that
really stand out in my mind. My biggest problem was that my
grandparents had both passed over by the time I had my own "garden".

And my parents didn't have a clue about gardening, so they were no
help. Most of my friends grew up with the same dilemma as me - our
parents just weren't gardeners.

So there was quite a bit of hit and miss in my first few years of
organic gardening. I managed to have some things give me small yields,
but many of my plants didn't thrive. The thing is, that I really loved
the time I spent in the garden - especially the veggie garden. It was
the one place where I could feel calm... to recharge and restore some
sanity to my life.

I decided to get a serious amount of learning into my head,
one way or another. I decided to educate myself so that I could get
good at growing my own food.

I studied horticulture at TAFE, completing certificate III in
Horticulture. Then I became the co-owner of an edible plants nursery
for several years.

By this time I was growing enough vegetables to keep my family going
over the main growing season. I was quite proud of myself - and still
am. The thrill of saying "I grew that" about things we were eating -
well I can tell you - it's joyful. Truly joyful!

Click Link To Find Out More!!! http://misfitman.jhw00.hop.clickbank.net/