Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Great day in the garden

I decided to get out and weed and do other garden chores today. Got the two
smaller beds around a tree and the cement property marker, respectively,
edged and weeded. Actually ended up transplanting into both beds. (more room
after finishing the edging than I expected.)

Worked on pruning back a juniper that wants to move into the house - man
that thing hurts when you get the needles under the skin. It has the
sharpest needles of anything outside a multiflora rose.

Moved a bunch more things including volunteer bapatisia. I got a fair bit of
the tap root, so it should be fine, but I'll water again tomorrow before
work.

Weeds still abound, but I'm pleasantly weary and I have cleaned up. A light
dinner after the boys return from hockey.....

Take care all

Cheryl

Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 1, 3:23 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I decided to get out and weed and do other garden chores today. Got the two
smaller beds around a tree and the cement property marker, respectively,
edged and weeded. Actually ended up transplanting into both beds. (more room
after finishing the edging than I expected.)

Worked on pruning back a juniper that wants to move into the house - man
that thing hurts when you get the needles under the skin. It has the
sharpest needles of anything outside a multiflora rose.

Moved a bunch more things including volunteer bapatisia. I got a fair bit of
the tap root, so it should be fine, but I'll water again tomorrow before
work.

Weeds still abound, but I'm pleasantly weary and I have cleaned up. A light
dinner after the boys return from hockey.....

Take care all

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
It's nice to hear about your great garden day.
Yes, Juniper needles are really sharp--they're just like, well,
needles.
We decided to take a break today from the garden and went hiking in
the
mountains. Along Willow Creek, we found a huge patch of W. Bleeding
Hearts in bloom. There were hundreds of Milbert's Tortoise Shell
butterflies, and the lovely white Marsh Marigolds were in bloom.
I have to get some of those this year, need to search diligently for
seeds! (I have the yellow eastern MM, )

Daylilies are coming into bloom here.
Emilie
NorCal
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/1/08 10:58 PM, in article
,
"mleblanca" wrote:

[...]

If I still had the tag for that juniper, I'd recommend it for a deterrent
for high crime areas. It snags you through denim.

The hike sounds wonderful. I have butterflies galore and I've heard the last
second rustle of a snake as it glides away.

Cheryl

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/1/08 11:51 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:23:25 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I decided to get out and weed and do other garden chores today. Got the two
smaller beds around a tree and the cement property marker, respectively,
edged and weeded. Actually ended up transplanting into both beds. (more room
after finishing the edging than I expected.)

Worked on pruning back a juniper that wants to move into the house - man
that thing hurts when you get the needles under the skin. It has the
sharpest needles of anything outside a multiflora rose.

Moved a bunch more things including volunteer bapatisia. I got a fair bit of
the tap root, so it should be fine, but I'll water again tomorrow before
work.

Weeds still abound, but I'm pleasantly weary and I have cleaned up. A light
dinner after the boys return from hockey.....

Take care all

Cheryl

Good to hear you got so much done. I am a bit envious. I still have
so much to weed and get rid of. Hey, I do what I can do. I fell last
week on concrete on my new knee. My doctor must really believe me. I
asked for some pain medication and I got the hillbilly heroine! I
couldn't believe he prescribed oxycontin. Yikes.

Anyway, the garden is looking so nice this year, but it's probably
more the way I'm looking at it. It's still the "crazy lady on the
block" look! It's mostly native plants and it supports TONS of life.
When I walk out the back door it's like the Serenghetti with hoards of
things scamping away, in, under, and by the HUGE brush pile. It makes
me so happy.

The barn swallows are all fledged and gone, only two babies this year.
I did find two eggs with yokes and two babies fell out of the nest,
but I had a box of sand under the nest in case that happened and we
were able to save one by placing it back in the nest. That was great.

I rescued a rat from the pool a few days ago. I should say I ran
screaming RAT IN POOL and my dear husband came and rescued it. The
squirrel is back taking one bite of each peach. That's fun! We
rescued her from the pool a few times. There are countless frogs and
toads too.

Just great. Maybe I can do a little tomorrow. At least I can
dream...

Victoria

Wonder why this just popped up

I'd love to see your garden one day....