GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/175435-broad-beans.html)

Linanden 02-06-2008 07:55 PM

Broad Beans

Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress

Linanden 02-06-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linanden (Post 795927)
Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress

Just an addition, we have grown these under netting as we have a pigeon problem in the area

beccabunga 03-06-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linanden (Post 795927)
Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress

Check where the flowers have dropped off. If there is a little spike then the flower has been pollinated. If no little spike, then no beans.

You don't say what kind of netting you are using, but if it has a very small mesh, you may be preventing the bees from getting to the flowers.

Linanden 03-06-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 796004)
Check where the flowers have dropped off. If there is a little spike then the flower has been pollinated. If no little spike, then no beans.

You don't say what kind of netting you are using, but if it has a very small mesh, you may be preventing the bees from getting to the flowers.

Thanks for that, the netting is quite smalland may be the cause of the problem, i will remove it and see how it goes and hope its not to late. Now how do i keep the dam pigeons away. would be a great help if my neighbour stopped putting food out for them....pesky things.

Billy[_4_] 03-06-2008 06:53 AM

Broad Beans

In article ,
Linanden wrote:

Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad
beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are
well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers
formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to
pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason
why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the
flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never
really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things
progress

The beans should follow the flower.
--

Billy