Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered User

Default Broad Beans

Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress
Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linanden View Post
Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress

Just an addition, we have grown these under netting as we have a pigeon problem in the area
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linanden View Post
Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things progress
Check where the flowers have dropped off. If there is a little spike then the flower has been pollinated. If no little spike, then no beans.

You don't say what kind of netting you are using, but if it has a very small mesh, you may be preventing the bees from getting to the flowers.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Check where the flowers have dropped off. If there is a little spike then the flower has been pollinated. If no little spike, then no beans.

You don't say what kind of netting you are using, but if it has a very small mesh, you may be preventing the bees from getting to the flowers.
Thanks for that, the netting is quite smalland may be the cause of the problem, i will remove it and see how it goes and hope its not to late. Now how do i keep the dam pigeons away. would be a great help if my neighbour stopped putting food out for them....pesky things.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Linanden wrote:

Just started a small veg plot and have a question regarding our broad
beans as we have never grown them before. They are growing well and are
well supported and approx 2ft 6" to 3 ft in height, lots of flowers
formed on them,which are dropping off afer a while, i see it says to
pinch out after first pods appear and understand this and the reason
why. I cannot see any pods forming though, should they form with the
flower, sorry if it sounds a bit of a daft question but as i have never
really grown anything before you will proberbly get a few more as things
progress

The beans should follow the flower.
--

Billy