Old 05-06-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dangling Tomato Plants OK?

I have only grown tomato plants one time - Sub-Arctic variety in a raised
bed when I lived in Alaska. I don't think that the experience carries over
very well though.

What I have now is two plants in a home-made self-watering planter. One is
a Sweet 100 and the other is a German Queen and they are growing at an
insane rate (over three feet and moving fast) and that is the problem or
will soon be. The planter is sitting up on a brick retaining wall in the
only decently sunny patch I could use on my heavily-wooded lot. I set up a
couple of prefabricated wire plant supports but the plants have both topped
those. Would it be safe to encourage the plants to grown over the top and
back down, draping over the front of the planter and down the wall? Do
tomato indeterminate tomato plants snap off under their own weight? Are the
stems "brittle" or are they even a bit pliable?

I guess that I can try to jury rig some sort of other support if I need to
but given that the planter is made from a Rubbermaid storage tub attaching
anything to it is a real trick and if I allow the water reservoir to get
even a bit empty the whole rig could become quite top-heavy.

Oh BTW: the Sweet 100 has quite a few tomatoes already even so the largest
is still in the grape size range.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:
[...]

I've had tomatoes in the past that went out the top of 6 foot tall
concrete reinforcing wire cages and were back down to the ground by
frost - bearing bushels of tomatoes!! Go for it!!

Tom J

Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

[...]

They are pliable. My tomatoes have support for 4 feet and they will
continue growing up to over six feet before gravity and leverage
bring them back down, and they continue to vegetate.

I guess that I can try to jury rig some sort of other support if I need to
but given that the planter is made from a Rubbermaid storage tub attaching
anything to it is a real trick and if I allow the water reservoir to get
even a bit empty the whole rig could become quite top-heavy.

Oh BTW: the Sweet 100 has quite a few tomatoes already even so the largest
is still in the grape size range.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

if you have any anchor points on the wall tie a length of twine to the wall
& to the bottom of each tomato lateral & gently loop the twine around the
lateral until it is lifted up and clear of the ground. Continue to loosely
twist the twine round the lateral until it reaches the anchor point. The
looped twine will hold the lateral.

rob

Old 06-06-2008, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
JC JC is offline

"John McGaw" wrote in message
[...]

I have just this year started using the Rubbermaid 24 gallon tubs from
WalMart. I've made 20 of them and I'm really pleased with the results. The
only problem I'm having is with the plastic I used to cover them. I guess it
is too opaque and some plants just died overnight. I removed the plastic and
re-planted and all is well. On all the boxes, because we are way out in the
country and have many snakes, we keep an abundance of cats, I wrap them
with the 3 or 4 inch mesh fence wire. It is so easy and you can lift them
off for storage. So, my tomatos have surpassed them and are hanging down the
outside and everything seems to be fine.

This is the only way to garden. No weeds, no work after the first year and
the watering is actually a pleasure.

If anyone wonders what we're talking about just google "Do it yourself
earthbox"

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.