GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rusty container for vegetables (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/175671-rusty-container-vegetables.html)

[email protected] 09-06-2008 01:09 AM

Rusty container for vegetables

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

David E. Ross 09-06-2008 04:54 AM

On 6/8/2008 5:09 PM, wrote:
Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

Rust is iron oxide. All plants need traces of iron to create
chlorophyll. Few plants will take up more iron from the soil than they
need.

Tomatoes are a good source of iron in our diet. Thus, I think they
might require more iron than some other plants. Therefore, you should
not be concerned. Instead, you will find your tomatoes to be nutritious.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

z 10-06-2008 09:00 PM

On Jun 8, 8:09*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. *One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

iron's not a problem. other metals like zinc or cadmium or lead,
maybe, if they were plated on the metal or something, which they
probably aren't.

[email protected] 13-06-2008 03:35 AM

On Jun 8, 11:54*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/8/2008 5:09 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for your response! We will enjoy our nutritious
tomatoes :)

[email protected] 13-06-2008 03:37 AM

On Jun 10, 4:00*pm, z wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:09*pm, wrote:

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. *One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

iron's not a problem. other metals like zinc or cadmium or lead,
maybe, if they were plated on the metal or something, which they
probably aren't.

Thank you so much for your response! I will keep the tomatoes in
their present home :)