Old 09-06-2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rusty container for vegetables

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Jun 8, 8:09*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. *One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

iron's not a problem. other metals like zinc or cadmium or lead,
maybe, if they were plated on the metal or something, which they
probably aren't.
Old 13-06-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 8, 11:54*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/8/2008 5:09 PM, wrote:

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. *One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

Rust is iron oxide. *All plants need traces of iron to create
chlorophyll. *Few plants will take up more iron from the soil than they
need.

Tomatoes are a good source of iron in our diet. *Thus, I think they
might require more iron than some other plants. *Therefore, you should
not be concerned. *Instead, you will find your tomatoes to be nutritious..

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

Thank you so much for your response! We will enjoy our nutritious
tomatoes
Old 13-06-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 10, 4:00*pm, z wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:09*pm, wrote:

Hi,

I have a container vegetable garden. *One of my containers is an old
wheelbarrow that is rusting badly, and I have tomatoes growing in it.
The container has holes drilled for drainage.

Is there a concern/health issue regarding the soil and the leaching of
rust into the tomatoes?

Thanks,
Raj

iron's not a problem. other metals like zinc or cadmium or lead,
maybe, if they were plated on the metal or something, which they
probably aren't.

Thank you so much for your response! I will keep the tomatoes in
their present home