Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bender Board and Lawn Mower

I have an established lawn. The outer edge is brick and the inner edge is
wood. The wood is at ground level but over time the wood gets covered with
dirt.

The other side of the wood border is a flowerbed. The grass and weeds tend
to crossover into the flowerbed and there is no distinct edge or boundary do
to the wood being so low.

It seems like over time the wood has sunken, however I think that the ground
and grass has just grown over it.

I am thinking of installing BenderBoard that is 5/16" x 3 7/16" x 12'

My worry is if I will have problems mowing the lawn. Currently since the
wood edge is so low I can push the mower wherever I wish, it's as if there
is nothing there. I would like to be able to mow as close as possible to
the edge as possible. However the edge where the bender board will go is
not a straight line.

I guess my worry boils down to how high should I install the bender board?
High enough to have a distinct edge and low enough to pass a mower over?

Any ideas?

Is the 5/16" x 3 7/16" Fibertech BenderBoard the material I should be
looking at or is there something else that will work for my application.

I just bought all the stuff tonight and plan to do it next weekend, however
I cold always return the material.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

Your problem is that you have your lawn growing right up to your
edging material and you're using double border material, and you're
setting them too deeply... choose one or the other. Regardless which
type you choose every time you mow you need to edge trim your lawn
side with a string trimmer. Since you already have the bricks simply
level and tighten them up to minimize growth between the bricks, then
edge trim the lawn side at an angle to create a pleasing bevel with
your string trimmer by flipping it 180 degrees and holding at the
correct angle... it will take a few times to develop the knack and a
nice looking edge... don't try to cut in all at once, give the grass a
chance to grow into a neat raised beveled edge with a bare border of
about a three inch swarth, there should be no grass growing up to the
border material. And forget all about adding another course of
border material abutting the other, that's just plain silly... do it
yourself centers push both on those with more dollars than brain
cells... using two border materials will create exactly the problems
you're experiencing. Use mulch to prevent weeds on your bed side.
There's never any reason to mow over any kind of border material... a
rotary mower blade always extends a couple-three inches past the mower
wheels... there are specialized landscaper's rotary mowers with the
front right wheel inset even more than the others, to add a little
extra reach at sharp corners, but I doubt you need that in your
situation. And naturally set your mower height appropriately... if
you're regularly mowing over your border material you probably have
your mower set so low that you're scalping your lawn. When your
bricks are set to a proper depth you should be able to mow the edge
with your mower wheels rolling directly on the bricks the first pass
and then on the lawn the second pass, never down into the trimmed
bevel. I don't recommend using a power edger on bricks, that can
prove quite dangerous (always use proper eye protection when using
power lawn tools), use an edging spade or a hand roller edger where
needed... power edgers are reserved for straight sided concrete
pavement... it's not necessary to use an edger more than 2-3 times per
growing season, but borders must be edge trimmed every time you mow.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I must have not been clear.

I am not using double border material.

On the North edge of the lawn there is brick, on the south end is this
rotton wooden strip that I am thinking of replacing with bender board.

The distance between the brick and the wood is about 6 feet with grass
inbetween

Old 09-06-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tube Audio" wrote:
I must have not been clear.

Matters not... proper edge trimming will solve your problem.

You're welcome.