Old 17-06-2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where to buy green garden jars (for terrarium)?

Hello all,

I've searched the internet high and low for large (12-19") round green
glass jars that you see in terrarium books all the time. Anyone know
who sells them?
Old 17-06-2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 17, 8:52*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 05:38:21 -0700 (PDT), DeanB

wrote:
Hello all,

I've searched the internet high and low for large (12-19") round green
glass jars that you see in terrarium books all the time. Anyone know
who sells them?

Brick and mortar, you may try World Market, Pier One, Pottery Barn,
places like that.

I tried a huge Pier One and they had nice stuff, but not that. Can't
believe no-one sells them online!
Old 17-06-2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

wrote:

Hello all,

I've searched the internet high and low for large (12-19") round green
glass jars that you see in terrarium books all the time. Anyone know
who sells them?

Brick and mortar, you may try World Market, Pier One, Pottery Barn,
places like that.

Big Lots is another store you might try. How about the places that sell the
big bottles of water for water coolers? Do you mean round like a ball or
round like a bottle?

This is from a terrarium planting fact sheet that you might want to consider
before you buy your jar....
"Colored glass is inappropriate as it reduces light intensity and
transmits its own color while absorbing other colors in the light spectrum.
Red tinted glass will block blue light, and increase light in the red
spectrum, causing plants to become leggy. Green glass should also be avoided
because it blocks red and blue light, both necessary for healthy plant
growth."
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...et.asp?code=44

Val

Old 17-06-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is this the idea? Search about for Cloche.

Bill

http://www.gardeners.com/Glass%20Clo.../VegetableGard
ening_SeasonExtending,35-067,default,cp.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Book "Our Media Not Theirs" Many Stars

Old 17-06-2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 17, 10:15*am, Bill wrote:
*Is this the idea? Search about for Cloche.

Bill

http://www.gardeners.com/Glass%20Clo.../VegetableGard
ening_SeasonExtending,35-067,default,cp.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Book *"Our Media Not Theirs" Many Stars

Bill - I get a bunch of womens hats! Are you sure that's the right
word?
Old 17-06-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

growth."http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/factsheet.asp?code=44

* * Val

Val - you are rigth, but my terrarium book says that if you put it in
a window where it hits direct sunlight, then you should use green
glass, especially on shade-lovers like ferns.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
DeanB wrote:

On Jun 17, 10:15*am, Bill wrote:
*Is this the idea? Search about for Cloche.

Bill

http://www.gardeners.com/Glass%20Clo.../VegetableGard
ening_SeasonExtending,35-067,default,cp.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Book *"Our Media Not Theirs" Many Stars

Bill - I get a bunch of womens hats! Are you sure that's the right
word?

Yep it is the right word. Multiple meanings.

Pricey !

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloche

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NDM156/...d=1099164221&r
ef=pd_sl_3722rsff4_b

http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden_products/garden_tools/cloches

Old 17-06-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"DeanB" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 9:34 am, "Val" wrote:

Val - you are rigth, but my terrarium book says that if you put it in
a window where it hits direct sunlight, then you should use green
glass, especially on shade-lovers like ferns.

Most plants don't read the books, I've been doing what can't be done for
years Try 'glass cloche' 'garden cloche' 'bell jar' for your
searches.

Good luck,
Val