Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Troy Bilt problem

I'm writing this via Google Groups because Time Warner Cable decided
we no longer need Newsgroups. What a pain.

I was on here a little while back asking about getting a new belt for
my Pony model. The belt from NAPA down the street worked just fine.

New problem.
I bought this tiller used 15 or more years ago. The gear oil always
looked good. I check it every year and top it off when it needs it. I
only use it probably less than 2 hours a year on the average. When I
check the oil, I tip it so a little spills out the hole. It generally
looks clean and new. I think I have only ever done a complete change
once.
I used it a few weeks ago and checked the oil level before I put it
away until fall. The oil didn't look clean this time. It didn't look
right at all! I drained all the oil into a pan. I could best describe
it as looking just like mud. A light tan mud. Even though it has never
leaked any oil in storage, I have to think that soil got past a seal
and contaminated the oil.
One thing was different this year. During the off season I bought a
"hiller- furrower" attachment. I used it that last day to make a
raised row. The soil was a little too wet for it and the attachment
pushed a lot of soil up under the cover above the tines. I bought some
new oil but I'm going to see what you all have to say before I refill
the gear box.
As far as seals go, the only mention in the owner's manual is that oil
will leak out if one fails. Follow me on this... the tines are on a
shaft. That shaft passes through a housing which must contain gears.
Even though those gears are pretty far from the gear box with the oil,
I assume that area is lubricated with the same oil. Would the seals
near the tines be up high enough that oil does not leak out even
though dirt can get in?

Steve (In the Adirondacks of northern NY)