GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Natural landscaping and home values (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/177309-natural-landscaping-home-values.html)

paghat[_2_] 28-07-2008 05:05 PM

Natural landscaping and home values

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon
wrote:

On Jul 27, 7:08?pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:53:51 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon
wrote:

(paghat) wrote:

We would like to live further in the country with more land.
to at least move the rhody
collection and whatever ferns and perennials aren't easily replaced.

If you move to a *real* rural woodland setting you won't need to
landscape, you'll have the real deal... any parking out will look
absolutely fake. ?And unless you first build a sturdy fenced area most
any plant you bring will be devoured by deer (and rabbits).

I live in the middle of the city and deer have destroyed over 50% of
what I planted. ?The deer killed the neighbors fruit trees by peeling
off the bark. ? I either use the electric fence or cover the plant
with chicken wire. ?In my case it doesn't look like there is any
difference living in the city or country.

In which city do you live that there's a deer population. I doubt
there are deer in most populous cities (to survive deer need many
acres of forest and meadow to browse), sounds more like the outskirts
of a small rural town/village.

Bullshit.

Heard of Burnsville. MN? Heard of horned urban rats? Heard of google?

Quit being an ass, Sheldon.

Charlie

The cemetery here in Bremerton isn't "downtown" but pretty close, smack
dab in the middle of the first level of housing neighborhoods along a
major thoroughfare. Deer and elk graze there. They tramp through dense
housing neighborhoods going and coming. We just cross our fingers they
never decide to use our neighborhood as their corridor.

A friend who did once upon a time live in the "country" now lives in the
densely populated suburbs. She never moved; the suburbs just came &
surrounded her. There's a lot more conflict with the deer than there used
to be, as they persist in using their old paths even when the paths have
become the front yards of house beside house beside house. Some of these
deer can actually climb trees, too. Now that there are fewer really wild
pickins in the area, Pauline says the deer get up in her apple trees to
get fruit from higher than can be reached from the ground.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

symplastless 29-07-2008 02:20 AM

Natural landscaping and home values

Tommy

I like your attitude!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

wrote in message
Hi everybody,

We live near the downtown of Green Bay, Wisconsin, though actually,
it's an old "suburb." Back in the 1920's, the lots were platted as
"farmettes" 50' wide and 250' deep, the idea being that everyone would
have a produce garden.

Over the years most people eventually converted their yards to nothing
but lawn, but when we purchased the home 20 years ago, we decided to
convert half of the backyard to an urban habitat with natural
landscaping. The result has been not only a lovely wooded and secluded
lot full of flowers from early spring through fall, but we haven't
needed to water or use any chemicals. What little lawn we have
(because we've kept it mowed away from neighbors' properties) is only
a 30 minute task with a reel mower.

The problem is, we now have the home up for sale and what to us has
been an asset is a liability in the eyes of prospective buyers! They
want us to knock off thousands of dollars from our asking price for
their cost of "cutting down those trees and clearing out all those
weeds in back." They want the big rectangular lawn.

Has anyone else experienced this situation and if so, what did you
do? Are there any networks we could plug into where we might find an
appreciative owner for this beautiful landscape? We would gladly knock
off a few thousand to someone who said "This is lovely! I want to
keep it." But we've already rejected an offer from somebody who wants
to destroy it. (Yes, I know...we're crazy.)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you might have to offer.

:-) Tommy

Jean B. 29-07-2008 05:47 PM

wrote:
[...]

Take heart and be patient. I am looking for a house west of
Boston, and I'd consider what you have done a real plus. I am
most definitely NOT interested in a property with a large expanse
of grass. I would like trees and natural surroundings that the
critters can enjoy.

--
Jean B.

Jean B. 29-07-2008 05:48 PM

Sheldon wrote:
(paghat) wrote:
We would like to live further in the country with more land.

to at least move the rhody
collection and whatever ferns and perennials aren't easily replaced.

If you move to a *real* rural woodland setting you won't need to
landscape, you'll have the real deal... any parking out will look
absolutely fake. And unless you first build a sturdy fenced area most
any plant you bring will be devoured by deer (and rabbits).

I am going to try really hard to remember this, Sheldon--the
eating part especially. I want the critters, so I'd better be
prepared for unintended consequences.

--
Jean B.

enigma 29-07-2008 10:19 PM

Natural landscaping and home values

"Jean B." wrote in
:

Sheldon wrote:
(paghat) wrote:
We would like to live further in the country with more
land.

to at least move the rhody
collection and whatever ferns and perennials aren't
easily replaced.

If you move to a *real* rural woodland setting you won't
need to landscape, you'll have the real deal... any
parking out will look absolutely fake. And unless you
first build a sturdy fenced area most any plant you bring
will be devoured by deer (and rabbits).

I am going to try really hard to remember this,
Sheldon--the eating part especially. I want the critters,
so I'd better be prepared for unintended consequences.

it depends on the whole local ecosystem. i have a huge
garden, plus beds of annuals & perennials around the house. i
don't have *any* problem with deer eating any of my plants.
yes, there are deer. i do my best to keep them out of the
pasture because they are an alternate host to meningeal worm
(fatal to ruminants), but there are lots of them in my woodlot
& swamp. i allow one neighbor to hunt deer on my property &
the local coyote population also keeps the numbers down. deer
only get to be a big problem where Bambi-lovers don't allow
hunting & there are no other natural predators. Sheldon lives
near Albany. city folk tend to be anti-hunting without
understanding that population explosions & the resulting
deaths by starvation and disease are a lot more horrific than
being culled by hunters.
if you really like the 'critters' & you own a good size
property, do consider allowing hunting. as a landowner, you
*can* choose who to allow to hunt. you don't have to make it a
free-for-all or nothing. post your property, but mention to
locals that you are open to hunting if asked first. it's not
too much to request a chunk of the take either. mmmm, venison.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Sheldon[_1_] 30-07-2008 02:30 AM

On Jul 29, 5:19�pm, enigma wrote:
"Jean B." wrote :

Sheldon wrote:
(paghat) wrote:
[...]

I live *near* Albany, NY like someone lives *near* Carson City, NV.
You obviously know nothing about Albany County or its surrounding
counties... that's because you haven't a clue about how someone can
live *near* a city yet still live in a very rural area. The vast
majority of Albany county is extremely rural. From this post alone I
know you don't live rural now nor have you ever lived rural, except in
your dreams.

Billy[_5_] 30-07-2008 03:42 AM

Natural landscaping and home values

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

On Jul 29, 5:19?pm, enigma wrote:
"Jean B." wrote :

Sheldon wrote:
(paghat) wrote:
[...]

Shelly probably got this from About.com which is where most of his
information comes from. Yes, he is obnoxious. We like to think of him,
when we do, as local color.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

enigma 30-07-2008 12:52 PM

Natural landscaping and home values

Sheldon wrote in

ups.com:

I live *near* Albany, NY like someone lives *near* Carson
City, NV. You obviously know nothing about Albany County or
its surrounding counties... that's because you haven't a
clue about how someone can live *near* a city yet still
live in a very rural area. The vast majority of Albany
county is extremely rural. From this post alone I know you
don't live rural now nor have you ever lived rural, except
in your dreams.

ya know Shelly, you really are a farging asshole. do you
*really* want me to post a closer discription of where you
live?
obviously *you* have never been to southern NH or you would
clearly see that i certainly do know about rural areas near
cities, since NH has far less area between cities than NY
does. however, it's getting too developed for my taste, as is
Albany county. we're looking mostly up in St.Lawrence,
Jefferson & Lewis counties now.

at least i live in a house & not a double wide...
lee

[email protected] 03-08-2008 02:52 PM

Natural landscaping and home values

Hi again,

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and your encouragement. I'm
feeling a little more comfortable that somebody else out there might
actually find this to be an asset. I've decided to make a binder with
a list of plantings, and photos of the garden at various times of
year. I'll put that right where anybody walking through will see it
and hopefully, at the very least it will dispel the idea that it's
just abandoned.

:-) Tommy