Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered User

Location: The loverly Derbyshire countryside
Question What plant is this?

Hi All,
I'm a new gardener and brand-new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this plant, as I'd like to get some more!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/...cda92547_o.jpg

They start growing early summer, and flower in late summer into a yellow bulb sort of shape, and gradually change through orange and then as shown in the photo, dark red by about november.

Anyone know?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What plant is this?

http://tinyurl.com/67egtz

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.420.050

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:15:33 +0100, forgeuk
wrote:

Hi All,
I'm a new gardener and brand-new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this plant, as I'd like to
get some more!

http://tinyurl.com/67egtz

They start growing early summer, and flower in late summer into a
yellow bulb sort of shape, and gradually change through orange and then
as shown in the photo, dark red by about november.

Anyone know?
Thanks

Chinese Lantern.

Boron
Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgeuk View Post
Hi All,
I'm a new gardener and brand-new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this plant, as I'd like to get some more!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/...cda92547_o.jpg

They start growing early summer, and flower in late summer into a yellow bulb sort of shape, and gradually change through orange and then as shown in the photo, dark red by about november.

Anyone know?
Thanks

Physalis alkekengi (franchetii)
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Registered User

Location: The loverly Derbyshire countryside
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Physalis alkekengi (franchetii)
Thank you very much!
Just googled the name, and yup! definitely that..AKA Chinese lantern.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"John McGaw" wrote in message
forgeuk wrote:
Hi All,
I'm a new gardener and brand-new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this plant, as I'd like to
get some more!

http://tinyurl.com/67egtz

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.420.050

Do you know if these Physalis are edible like the Physalis edulis and the
Physalis ixocarpa?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Do you know if these Physalis are edible like the Physalis edulis and the
Physalis ixocarpa?

I did some homework which I should have done before asking the above
question. It is edible but not as favoured as the Physalis edulis. Also it
can be grown form saved seeds but like tomato seeds the seeds should be
fermented to save them.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1894/
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....alis+alkekengi

I can recommend Physalis edulis, it's delicious.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Do you know if these Physalis are edible like the Physalis edulis and the
Physalis ixocarpa?

I did some homework which I should have done before asking the above
question. It is edible but not as favoured as the Physalis edulis. Also it
can be grown form saved seeds but like tomato seeds the seeds should be
fermented to save them.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1894/
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....alis+alkekengi

I can recommend Physalis edulis, it's delicious.

I've never tasted Cape gooseberry but I can vouch for the qualities of
Physalis philadelphica or tomatillo at least in salsa. I wonder if the
gooseberries might work in a chutney.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered User

Location: The loverly Derbyshire countryside

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmI View Post

Do you know if these Physalis are edible like the Physalis edulis and the
Physalis ixocarpa?
I did read on one of the pages found via google that eating the type that I have, has a couple of minor side-effects:

abdominal pain and mis-carrage (!)