Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Worm castings

Between liquid and powder, which have you found most effective?

Do you spray the liquid on the foliage?

Do you spread a thin coat over the soil around baby vegetables? I
have a newly-dug veg. patch in my back yard where young radishes,
spinach and beets are just emerging. To protect them from sun (this
is So. Calif coastal, and we are having some very hot weather) would I
do better to spread home-made compost, which might ?? be too coarse
for the baby plants, or worm castings? The WC are very expensive,
but I'll do it if more effective than compost.

TIA
Old 05-10-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Artful Dodger wrote:
Between liquid and powder, which have you found most effective?

Do you spray the liquid on the foliage?

Do you spread a thin coat over the soil around baby vegetables? I
have a newly-dug veg. patch in my back yard where young radishes,
spinach and beets are just emerging. To protect them from sun (this
is So. Calif coastal, and we are having some very hot weather) would I
do better to spread home-made compost, which might ?? be too coarse
for the baby plants, or worm castings? The WC are very expensive,
but I'll do it if more effective than compost.

TIA

Typically, to protect tender young plants from sun burn one uses a shade
structure. An old-fashioned lathe house if you will. I can't imagine that
spraying any substance on the plants would be a good way to keep the sun
off of them.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 4, 4:47 pm, John McGaw wrote:
Artful Dodger wrote:
[...]

OK, let me ask the question again in a less complicated form.
Forget the whole confusing baby veg aspect.

For mature plants/shrubs, like roses, fortnight lilies, fuschias,
camellias, etc.
how use worm castings: (1) spray foliage or (2) apply on the ground.
Is there any difference in method of application between the above-
listed plants?

(I have read lately that it is now acceptable to use "between" when
speaking of
more than two objects. Mmm...not so sure...)

Reminder: this is SoCal coastal.

Thanks