Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What does 50% soil moisture content actually mean?

Apologies for what may be a dumb and trivial question and I'm not sure
if this is the best group to query, but I'm wondering what a
particular soil moisture content actually means and how to achieve it
under controlled conditions. For example, if I have 100ml of a given
type of soil that's been dried and compacted so that there's
relatively few air pockets, after adding 100ml of water and letting it
permeate, would this mean that the soil now has a 50% water content
assuming no evaporation as taken place? Or would that be 100% moisture
as the total volume of soil has had an equivalent volume of water
added, or neither? Further more, given my 100ml of soil that is
dried but perhaps isn't compacted and has some other non-soil
components, would adding my 100ml of water change the moisture content
then?

Input from anyone clued up on this most welcome!

Nick

[IMG] code is On

moisture content in soil john[_4_] Gardening 22 22-05-2007 06:41 PM
soil content Don P Roses 1 21-04-2004 06:02 AM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator Plant Science 0 15-09-2003 11:13 PM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator Plant Science 0 15-09-2003 11:12 PM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator alt.forestry 0 15-09-2003 11:10 PM