Old 15-05-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default moisture content in soil

Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

Old 15-05-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

Why? What source is suggesting 70%, and for what reason?

Old 16-05-2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from john contains these words:

Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

Dry peat is odourless ,dark brown, crumbly, friable, soft and loose.
It can absorb a lot of water like a sponge. When it's wet, it's still
odourless, almost black, and heavier.

Janet.

Odourless? That's crazy. Peat's got a great smell. You can even get a
slight hint of it in some single malt scotch made from water which flowed
through peat. Lagavulin is one, if I recall.

Old 17-05-2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from john contains these words:

Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

Dry peat is odourless ,dark brown, crumbly, friable, soft and loose.
It can absorb a lot of water like a sponge. When it's wet, it's still
odourless, almost black, and heavier.

Janet.

Odourless? That's crazy. Peat's got a great smell.

Only when burning :-)

You can even get a
slight hint of it in some single malt scotch made from water which flowed
through peat. Lagavulin is one, if I recall.

Lagavulin's nose is also supposed to be reminiscent of seaweed, salt
and smoke :-)

Even fresh water that's brown with peat, does not smell when you
drink it.

Janet (Scotland).

Janet, one of two things is happening here. Either peat moss from Canada has
a scent not present in what you've got there, or you have had a mild stroke
which has affected your sense of smell.

As far as the brand of scotch, my experience was at a scotch tasting event.
If not Lagavulin, then a different brand. By the end of the party, nobody
could remember their own names.

Old 17-05-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

Janet, one of two things is happening here. Either peat moss from
Canada has
a scent not present in what you've got there, or you have had a mild
stroke
which has affected your sense of smell.

Or, you suffer from some kind of alcohol-fuelled delusions*.

So, when I grab a handful of peat moss to make potting soil mix, the smell
is a hallucination?

Old 17-05-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

Janet, one of two things is happening here. Either peat moss from
Canada has
a scent not present in what you've got there, or you have had a mild
stroke
which has affected your sense of smell.

Or, you suffer from some kind of alcohol-fuelled delusions*.

So, when I grab a handful of peat moss to make potting soil mix, the
smell
is a hallucination?

Halitosis. Someone had to tell you :-)

Janet

Speaking of inebrialated (and our president would say)....what time is it
there? :-)

Old 18-05-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

|The message
|from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

| So, when I grab a handful of peat moss to make potting soil mix, the smell
| is a hallucination?
|
| Halitosis. Someone had to tell you :-)
|
| Janet

Joe, Janet is just having you on. It's a habit in which the Scots take great
delight, having honed it to a fine art by long practice on the English. Let me
re-peat here what I said in another thread :

Isle of Jura "Superstition" has just the proper, somewhat subdued level of
PEATY TASTE; although if I'm feeling particularly robust - and affluent - I
might splurge on a glass of Laphroaig, which absolutely reeks of the stuff.

Alexander
Old 18-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

| Psssst Joe, Alexander is a Scot, I am not.
|
| Janet.

Oh, a "plant."

Psssst Joe, I'm actually Canadian now but enjoy my Scots heritage - well, most
of it.

Scotland doesn't yet require folks like Janet to have citizenship, but just you
wait .....

Now I think I'll quit this thread while I'm ahead :-))

Alexander
Old 21-05-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

I found the answer and as no one in this group seems to know I will
explain.

You get completely dry peat and weigh it - say 100g.

You then add water and weigh it again. If it weights 150g it contains
50% water content. If it weights 170g it contains 70% moisture
content.

Simple!

John

Old 21-05-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/21/2007 7:12 AM, john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

I found the answer and as no one in this group seems to know I will
explain.

You get completely dry peat and weigh it - say 100g.

You then add water and weigh it again. If it weights 150g it contains
50% water content. If it weights 170g it contains 70% moisture
content.

Simple!

John

Isn't peat able to absorb several times its own weight in water? That
being the case, I don't think it would feel wet. Maybe a tad damp, but
I've never made that particular test.

But it wouldn't take very much water at all to reach 70%. I've bought
huge bales of the stuff that weighed very little for their size. It was
marked 'peat mulch'. Fine, dusty stuff. I think it works better as a
soil amendment than sitting on top. Didn't want to put it down in windy
conditions.

God Bless
--
pre
Ted

I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"br
The next day I bought 47 more.

Old 21-05-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

I found the answer and as no one in this group seems to know I will
explain.

You get completely dry peat and weigh it - say 100g.

You then add water and weigh it again. If it weights 150g it contains
50% water content. If it weights 170g it contains 70% moisture
content.

Simple!

Perhaps simple, but wrong. In your first example, if it weighed 200g,
it'd be at 50% water.

--
John McWilliams
Old 21-05-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 21, 4:06 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

I found the answer and as no one in this group seems to know I will
explain.

You get completely dry peat and weigh it - say 100g.

You then add water and weigh it again. If it weights 150g it contains
50% water content. If it weights 170g it contains 70% moisture
content.

Simple!

Perhaps simple, but wrong. In your first example, if it weighed 200g,
it'd be at 50% water.

--
John McWilliams

Well John

It is really important that i know this so could you explain further.
For 100g of dry peat what would it weight with 70% moisture content?

John

Old 21-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
[...]

john, if 70% of the wetted peat's weight is water, then the dry peat
represents 30% or .3(x) = 100g where "x" equals the total weight.
Rearrange: x = 100g/.3 = 333.3333g

So you would have 3 1/3 times more water than peat in the final product.

- Bill
Old 21-05-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill Rose wrote:

john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
[...]

Having thought a bit further on this, it may be that volume by weight
and volume by mass may have gotten mixed in the first formula.

In any event, john, what is the final application to which you are
trying to find the optimum mixture of peat and water?

--
John McWilliams
Old 21-05-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

john, if 70% of the wetted peat's weight is water, then the dry peat
represents 30% or .3(x) = 100g where "x" equals the total weight.
Rearrange: x = 100g/.3 = 333.3333g

So you would have 3 1/3 times more water than peat in the final product.

- Bill

Uh. Whoops. Sorry. 333.3333g is the total weight. The water would weigh
233.3333g, so it would be 2 1/3 times heavier than the peat. That's my
story and I'm sticking with it.

Got twelve more corn planted today, along with 2 zukes. Sowed my flax.
Thank god I won't have to build another rail spur next year. Now I need
to re-pot a geranium that I thought had died during the frost this
winter. I potted a volunteer nasturtium in a hanging pot about a month
ago and it is in flower now. Cucumbers are taking a beating from
something. Spread out another helping of "Sluggo". I also cast some
clover between the stepping stones in the garden. If it takes, it should
add some extra nitrogen to the soil. I;m also spending some time
trimming back ivy (snail cover) and some taller plants that throw shade
into the garden. I hope to get a jaiogulan planted before the day is
done. Then there is that pesky wooden garage and damp rot that needs
looking into. Good thing I just had my afternoon coffee.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (and away)

[IMG] code is On

What does 50% soil moisture content actually mean? Nick Gardening 6 12-10-2008 09:39 AM
soil content Don P Roses 1 21-04-2004 06:02 AM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator Plant Science 0 15-09-2003 11:13 PM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator Plant Science 0 15-09-2003 11:12 PM
time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture Gladiator alt.forestry 0 15-09-2003 11:10 PM