Old 16-11-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Autumn leaves as mulch?

"Newbie" wrote in message
As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

So far that I read in the responses visible to this news reader, only David
E. Ross used the term mulch properly in among all their responses. Others
were referring to compost, not mulch. They, or at least one of them, should
have started a new thread if they wanted to talk about leaves used in
compost.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 16-11-2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Leaves are fine as mulch if applied correctly. It would be great if you
could mix the leaves with composted wood chips.

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and other
abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

Old 16-11-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

BTW

If you are scared of a disease just let the leaves compost for one year and
they will be fine.

Old 17-11-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
"Newbie" wrote in message
As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

So far that I read in the responses visible to this news reader, only
David E. Ross used the term mulch properly in among all their responses.
Others were referring to compost, not mulch. They, or at least one of
them, should have started a new thread if they wanted to talk about leaves
used in compost.

Huh? Most of the responses were about mulching.

Old 17-11-2008, 09:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

On 15/11/08 07:34, Ian Anderson wrote:

I don't live in the Midwest so I can't address your criticism, but
Autumn leaves are welcome additions to my recycle bins in Australia.

Do you add the leaves to your normal compost bin as part of the general
mix of materials there or do you have a separate bin dedicated solely
to leaves?

Ed

Old 17-11-2008, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:53:26 -0600, Newbie wrote:

As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

Yes, I use leaves to protect roses but remove the leaves in early
spring. Using leaves to protect new plants is a very good idea.
Leaves should never be thrown (nor given) away. Make a compost pile.
Leaf mold is very good.
Old 17-11-2008, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

sometime in the recent past Dioclese posted this:
"Newbie" wrote in message
As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

So far that I read in the responses visible to this news reader, only David
E. Ross used the term mulch properly in among all their responses. Others
were referring to compost, not mulch. They, or at least one of them, should
have started a new thread if they wanted to talk about leaves used in
compost.

Compost -
–noun
1. a mixture of various decaying organic substances, as dead leaves or manure, used for fertilizing soil.
2. a composition; compound.
–verb (used with object)
3. to use in compost; make compost of: to compost manure and kitchen scraps.
4. to apply compost to (soil).
–verb (used without object)
5. to make compost: Shredded leaves will compost easily.

Take your pick, but it's not always a verb.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 17-11-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Newbie" wrote in message
[...]

I see all the discusssion with one exception going to composting. Guess
Sheldon forgot what mulch was... And to police those that do not use
"mulch" in its strictest context here. Flaky is, as flaky does.

Old 18-11-2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:05:34 -0800 (PST), Jessica Mae
wrote:

On Nov 13, 1:53*pm, Newbie wrote:
As a new gardener in soon-to-freeze Midwest, I have noticed the
following irony: We as well as our neighbors are raking bags upon bags
of autumn leaves from the front and back yards and discarding them. At
the same time we are buying mulch to protect newly planted perennials
during the winter.

An obvious question is, could we use those leaves as mulch? I get
enough to make as thick a layer as needed?

I live in the midwest as well. You shouldn't use your leaves as mulch
because they tend to develop mold & you'll just have continuing
problems on your hands.

I process all my leaves (over 180 trees on my lot!) and take
neighbors' leaves. Putting the leaves through my 8-HP chipper
shredder, I put the ground-up leaves into a round wire bin. Grinding
up the leaves reduces the volume 5X or more. After sitting in the bin
for 2-3 weeks, the volume decreases again by one half. In spring I
got a black leaf mold--very valuable organic material for anything you
want to grow! It is just as valuable as compost, but not quite as
common. Use it soon after 5-8 months, else it disappears.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered User

In front of my house, I created a layer of about 6 inches thick leaves white oak in my valley, and then cover it with poultry network (wire) anchored into the soil. West Lakes suffering when they do not have thick leaves covered. Mesh to keep leaves santa ana storm blowing away from us.
Pond Supplies