Old 21-02-2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please repost to forcing peony tubers - original accidentally deleted

Oops, was deleting spam and accidentally delete the message
forcing peony tubers. Please repost...

Thanks !!

Peter
Old 21-02-2009, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Oops, was deleting spam and accidentally delete the message
forcing peony tubers. Please repost...

Thanks !!

Peter

Peter,

You should know that you can always go to google groups if you lose a
usenet post. Most of the non-binary groups (like this one) are archived.

So you won't have to dig through the archives here is my post on your
question.

If you ground is not frozen you can start them (outside) now. Peonies
do best when planted and not disturbed or transplanted.

If your ground is still frozen you can start Peonies this time of year
in a planter (inside) and put them outside when it warms up. You do NOT
want to start them in water because they will rot. They need to be
covered with soil and should be planted deep enough to cover the tuber
(follow the instruction on the package that they came in if you have that).

You should know that newly planted (or transplanted) Peonies usually
don't bloom the first season. Generally, it takes a few years for them
to really bloom well. I have lots of Peonies and the best bloomers are
the ones that have been in the same place for over 10 years. Only when
they get really large do I split the plant up.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 22-02-2009, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks Bill, for your information.

I'll wait till March (about two more weeks) and get the tubers in the ground. Once
in they won't be disturbed. Hopefully they'll grow These will be planted on a HOA
property.

I have several peonies on my own plot, White, White tingled with red,
and the pink ones "Taki". Gorgeous flowers when in full bloom. Unfortunately
they only stay in bloom for 2 - 3 weeks although I manage to grab quite a few
when they're in 'marshmallow' stage and stick them in the refrig to use later
during the summer. They seem to keep up to 3 months when refrigerated
and continue to full bloom...(sans ants).

Also, thanks for the tip on Google groups.... The original post was accidentally
deleted along with a bunch of spam messages. I'm just not a knowledgeable
newgroup person.

Best...

Peter