GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardening with repetitive strain injury (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/181609-gardening-repetitive-strain-injury.html)

fralie 07-03-2009 11:54 AM

Gardening with repetitive strain injury

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening - especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

Buderschnookie[_2_] 07-03-2009 05:05 PM

"fralie" wrote in message

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

I went to Google you a website but there were so many hits you may as well
look yourself.
http://tinyurl.com/dz44gb

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Billy[_7_] 07-03-2009 05:21 PM

Gardening with repetitive strain injury

In article ,
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

You need the guidance of a professional physical therapist, not the well
intentioned, and perhaps disastrous, musings of the random "posters" to
"wrecked gardens".
--

Billy
There are no lobbyists for cover crops and crop rotation. Why?

Bill[_13_] 07-03-2009 07:06 PM

Gardening with repetitive strain injury

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

You need the guidance of a professional physical therapist, not the well
intentioned, and perhaps disastrous, musings of the random "posters" to
"wrecked gardens".

Sound advice. I'd also look into ergonomic design of your work place
sometimes minor or major changes in you work place really can make a
difference. Meanwhile do less some how.

Bill

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/ehsm/Ergonomic_design.pdf

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Phisherman[_3_] 07-03-2009 08:17 PM

Gardening with repetitive strain injury

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:54:09 +0000, fralie
wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

No special tools. Instead, know your limits, slowly exercise your
joints according to doctor/therapist instruction and back off
immediately when it hurts. Sometimes an ace bandage works wonders.
Hope you feel better, joint pain is no fun.

fralie 08-03-2009 09:54 AM

Thanks for all of the advice - am being referred to a physio - will just have to remember that sometimes - less is more

brooklyn1 08-03-2009 03:35 PM

fralie wrote:
'Phisherman wrote:
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.-

No special tools. Instead, know your limits, slowly exercise your
joints according to doctor/therapist instruction and back off
immediately when it hurts. Sometimes an ace bandage works wonders.
Hope you feel better, joint pain is no fun.

Thanks for all of the advice - am being referred to a physio - will
just have to remember that sometimes - less is more

fralie

Your medical professional will probably recommend you change your name from
Frailie, to something like Robusto. LOL