Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered User

Location: East Coast Co Down
Wink Gardening with repetitive strain injury

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening - especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening with repetitive strain injury

"fralie" wrote in message

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

I went to Google you a website but there were so many hits you may as well
look yourself.
http://tinyurl.com/dz44gb

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 07-03-2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

You need the guidance of a professional physical therapist, not the well
intentioned, and perhaps disastrous, musings of the random "posters" to
"wrecked gardens".
--

Billy
There are no lobbyists for cover crops and crop rotation. Why?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

You need the guidance of a professional physical therapist, not the well
intentioned, and perhaps disastrous, musings of the random "posters" to
"wrecked gardens".

Sound advice. I'd also look into ergonomic design of your work place
sometimes minor or major changes in you work place really can make a
difference. Meanwhile do less some how.

Bill

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/ehsm/Ergonomic_design.pdf

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:54:09 +0000, fralie
wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.

No special tools. Instead, know your limits, slowly exercise your
joints according to doctor/therapist instruction and back off
immediately when it hurts. Sometimes an ace bandage works wonders.
Hope you feel better, joint pain is no fun.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

fralie wrote:
'Phisherman wrote:
fralie wrote:

I have repetitive strain injury in my right wrist (way too much typing
in the day job) and this is causing problems when gardening -
especially weeding and digging.

Can anyone suggest tools that will help to reduce the strain or give
hints or tips on reducing the strain when gardening.-

No special tools. Instead, know your limits, slowly exercise your
joints according to doctor/therapist instruction and back off
immediately when it hurts. Sometimes an ace bandage works wonders.
Hope you feel better, joint pain is no fun.

Thanks for all of the advice - am being referred to a physio - will
just have to remember that sometimes - less is more

fralie

Your medical professional will probably recommend you change your name from
Frailie, to something like Robusto. LOL