Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Frost

brooklyn1 said:

"Jangchub" wrote:

fog doesn't freeze or it would be called snow.

When fog (visible water vapor near the ground) freezes it's called frost...
snow is different, snow is the inverse.

One of the most amazing things that can happen on a cold morning is a
freezing fog leading to rime frost on trees. I've most often seen this in the
river vally just north of my house.

It's staggeringly beautiful, but usually quite ephemeral, when the sun is
shining; millions of rainbow crystals glittering in the morning light.

Some photos:
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/73582/hdr_ticino.jpg
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/73582...ennaio_053.jpg

Wiki articles (with illustrations):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_rime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rime

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
brooklyn1 said:

"Jangchub" wrote:

fog doesn't freeze or it would be called snow.

When fog (visible water vapor near the ground) freezes it's called
frost...
snow is different, snow is the inverse.

One of the most amazing things that can happen on a cold morning is a
freezing fog leading to rime frost on trees. I've most often seen this in
the
river vally just north of my house.

It's staggeringly beautiful, but usually quite ephemeral, when the sun is
shining; millions of rainbow crystals glittering in the morning light.

Some photos:
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/73582/hdr_ticino.jpg
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/73582...ennaio_053.jpg

Wiki articles (with illustrations):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_rime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rime

--

Thank you for the lovely photos and very informative articles.

Your pictures remeinded me that I have some similarly depicting the frost
phenomena, not nearly as artistic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/30ttp8g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/23lecrd.jpg

My "Fat Albert" Colorado blue spruce's first Christmas (2008):
http://i42.tinypic.com/sm64bc.jpg

Here it is at night... at first I was suprised,
until I realized the flash made the otherwise
invisable water vapor appear, eerie:
http://i40.tinypic.com/s4ayb9.jpg

My new spruce is now covered with buds that weren't there last fall, albiet
still tightly closed, very exciting waiting to see the progress.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 said:

Thank you for the lovely photos and very informative articles.

You are most certainly welcome.

I wish I had done more than found them on the web. I did pick them
out of thousands, though.

Your pictures remeinded me that I have some similarly depicting the frost
phenomena, not nearly as artistic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/30ttp8g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/23lecrd.jpg

Nice bit of land you've got there.

My "Fat Albert" Colorado blue spruce's first Christmas (2008):
http://i42.tinypic.com/sm64bc.jpg

Here it is at night... at first I was suprised,
until I realized the flash made the otherwise
invisable water vapor appear, eerie:
http://i40.tinypic.com/s4ayb9.jpg

Ah, I think you posted this one before! I like the misty effect.

My new spruce is now covered with buds that weren't there last fall, albiet
still tightly closed, very exciting waiting to see the progress.

I finally found a crocus blooming near the SE corner of the garage.
April already, and the snowdrops are still in bloom. The buds are
finally showing some sign of swelling on the amelanchier.

We had one warmish day last month. Today is supposed to be warm,
but I have commitments all day. And this weekend it will be turn
COLD again. So the outside gardening is running behind.

Meanwhile, inside I'll be gearing up to start the tomatoes, eggplants,
and peppers (and here's hoping we don't have a repeat of the late May
hard frost this year).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

[IMG] code is On

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM