GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   strange rubbery tentacled root/toy found while weeding garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/182552-strange-rubbery-tentacled-root-toy-found-while-weeding-garden.html)

thething 12-04-2009 10:34 AM

strange rubbery tentacled root/toy found while weeding garden

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me identify a very strange root (or parasite) that we dug up whilst weeding the garden today. I could not figure out how to put the pics into this thread, so I posted them online at:

http://forgettingmyself.com/the-thing

We put it in the freezer, but the thing is kind of freaking me out. It is just so odd looking. I am beginning to think a kid might have buried a toy that has been latched onto by roots. If anyone can help me figure it out - that would be great.

brooklyn1 12-04-2009 04:07 PM

"thething" wrote in message

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me identify a very strange root (or parasite)
that we dug up whilst weeding the garden today. I could not figure out
how to put the pics into this thread, so I posted them online at:

http://forgettingmyself.com/the-thing

We put it in the freezer, but the thing is kind of freaking me out. It
is just so odd looking. I am beginning to think a kid might have buried
a toy that has been latched onto by roots. If anyone can help me figure
it out - that would be great.

It's the rhizome root of some plant... would be easier to identify had you
photographed the foliage before it all wilted... just a guess but to me it
looks like you dug up an old bed of tiger lily. Poke around:
http://tinyurl.com/ckyuu8