Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered User

Default strange rubbery tentacled root/toy found while weeding garden

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me identify a very strange root (or parasite) that we dug up whilst weeding the garden today. I could not figure out how to put the pics into this thread, so I posted them online at:

http://forgettingmyself.com/the-thing

We put it in the freezer, but the thing is kind of freaking me out. It is just so odd looking. I am beginning to think a kid might have buried a toy that has been latched onto by roots. If anyone can help me figure it out - that would be great.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"thething" wrote in message

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me identify a very strange root (or parasite)
that we dug up whilst weeding the garden today. I could not figure out
how to put the pics into this thread, so I posted them online at:

http://forgettingmyself.com/the-thing

We put it in the freezer, but the thing is kind of freaking me out. It
is just so odd looking. I am beginning to think a kid might have buried
a toy that has been latched onto by roots. If anyone can help me figure
it out - that would be great.

It's the rhizome root of some plant... would be easier to identify had you
photographed the foliage before it all wilted... just a guess but to me it
looks like you dug up an old bed of tiger lily. Poke around:
http://tinyurl.com/ckyuu8

[IMG] code is On

While weeding.... Sacha United Kingdom 8 20-08-2007 12:19 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Carols Gulleys "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 02-01-2007 10:57 PM
Snake bite while weeding AndyS Gardening 19 25-06-2006 06:48 PM
my new toy oldmolly United Kingdom 17 23-10-2003 09:22 PM