Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered User

Question Pear Trees

I have two pear trees which have given me harvest up to 2007 but after those years nothing
Please could you help with a solution to this problem
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pear Trees

I have two pear trees which have given me harvest up to 2007 but after
those years nothing
Please could you help with a solution to this problem

Where-in-the-world are you ?
My mother's 2 pear trees gave excellent production
last year, with no spray or pruning or fertilizer
of any kind. The newer smaller (dwarf) tree actually
had a major branch break-off from the weight of the fruit.
John T

Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"charlie57" wrote in message

I have two pear trees which have given me harvest up to 2007 but after
those years nothing
Please could you help with a solution to this problem

So what has the care regime been? Are you pruning incorrectly, feeding too
much or too little, have they had enough water?

You haven't given us enough to work with to give you a meaningful response.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"charlie57" wrote in message

I have two pear trees which have given me harvest up to 2007 but after
those years nothing
Please could you help with a solution to this problem

So what has the care regime been? Are you pruning incorrectly, feeding
too much or too little, have they had enough water?

You haven't given us enough to work with to give you a meaningful
response.

Pears need a pollinator of a different type... perhaps those two were not
pollinating each other but instead were being polinated by a nearby pear
that is no longer there.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

fruit trees can only produce a given amount of fruit and if too much fruit is left on
the tree after fruit set it saps the tree. in addition, is there any "gummie" on the
trunk? was there any evidence of fire blight or other leaf diseases?
sometimes late frost will kill the flowers. and of course pruning at the wrong time
can knock out flower setting in summer.
Ingrid

Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Smile

Thank you for your solution which i will take into consideration as i have never feed the trees which are about 15 years old. One is a conference the other is a concorde
Will feed when i go to a nursery next
When do i feed the trees straight away or any other time of year please