GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tiny ants, part II (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/183336-tiny-ants-part-ii.html)

OhioGuy 06-05-2009 10:08 AM

Tiny ants, part II

Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other
suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more
than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside our house. The
ants are still all over the kitchen.

At this point, I would simply like to know what sort of granular pesticide
I can buy to put on the soil near our house to make sure that any ants
nearby in the soil are killed, and stay killed. It looks like Diazinon has
been withdrawn, and that would have been my first choice in the past.

Garrapata 15-05-2009 05:59 AM

Tiny ants, part II

Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other
suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more
than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside our house. The
ants are still all over the kitchen.

At this point, I would simply like to know what sort of granular pesticide
I can buy to put on the soil near our house to make sure that any ants
nearby in the soil are killed, and stay killed. It looks like Diazinon has
been withdrawn, and that would have been my first choice in the past.

The trouble with diazinon and similar pesticides is they kill too
quickly. you need something that they take back to the nest and gets
distributed to all of them.
I've been out of the business for a while and haven't kept up with what
is available but boric acid powder mixed with sugar or grease is an old
standard and I have had good luck with Grant's ant stakes
--

09=ix

[email protected] 15-05-2009 03:08 PM

Tiny ants, part II

you need to determine what kind of ants, then get one of those poisoned bait tins or
whatever they will eat. has everyone seen the new fly they are using against fire
ants? zombiiiiiieeees..
INgrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

basilisk 16-05-2009 03:15 PM

Tiny ants, part II

wrote in message
you need to determine what kind of ants, then get one of those poisoned
bait tins or
whatever they will eat. has everyone seen the new fly they are using
against fire
ants? zombiiiiiieeees..
INgrid

I live close to one of the release sites in Alabama, The phorid flies
haven't wiped the fireants out
but the mounds are having unusual die offs.

I have high hopes that it will at least make the ants manageable.

basilisk

[email protected] 18-05-2009 01:55 PM

Tiny ants, part II

Yeah.. my friend near Mobile was saying so ...... it is where the fire ants "landed"
so I heard. It may take a couple years. Ingrid

brooklyn1 18-05-2009 01:57 PM

Tiny ants, part II

Corn starch... ants eat it, can't digest it, and die.