Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default newbie in search of a group "home" for gardening

I live just outside of Boston and noticed a couple of mentions about
gardening here.
Is this a good place to start ? Or, if you can recommend a different
Google Group, thank you.

I am most interested in perennials and flower gardening in general. A
few veggies too.

Thanks 1
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

RhodyGal wrote:
I live just outside of Boston and noticed a couple of mentions about
gardening here.
Is this a good place to start ? Or, if you can recommend a different
Google Group, thank you.

The first thing to realize is that this has absolutely nothing to do
with Google. Usenet, which this is, existed before the internet.

I am most interested in perennials and flower gardening in general. A
few veggies too.

Read the group. And if you don't mention again that you are a Google
Grouper, you may not get run out ;-)

Jeff

Thanks 1

Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
RhodyGal wrote:

I live just outside of Boston and noticed a couple of mentions about
gardening here.
Is this a good place to start ? Or, if you can recommend a different
Google Group, thank you.

I am most interested in perennials and flower gardening in general. A
few veggies too.

Thanks 1

You will find lots of good advice here, if you are inclined to be a good
land steward, nurturing the soil, and garden organically. Most
herbicides and/or insecticides have unhealthy side effects on the
environment (pollinators and soil web), and a negative impact on on
humans, especially fetuses and small children.
--

- Billy

Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Registered User

There are horticultural groups in Western MA so I presume they have them in the Eastern part of the state. There are plenty of blogs to search through if you know what you are seeking. Just do a search for a perennial, say propagating and you never know what you might find.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 9, 3:54*pm, RhodyGal wrote:
I live just outside of Boston and noticed a couple of mentions about
gardening here.
Is this a good place *to start ? Or, if you can recommend a different
Google Group, thank you.

I am most interested in perennials and flower gardening in general. A
few veggies too.

Thanks *1

Hey there RhodyGal, I grew up in Amherst, nice neck of the woods you
live in!!
Welcome here, we talk about all kinds of gardening. We have our
resident kooks who love to argue with, and dis each other, but just
ignore anything ignorant they post and enjoy the rest of us. Big
grin!!
We are now retired and enjoy our posies brightening our yard here in
DE. It is just warm enough to put out annuals this week, and we went
to 2 Amish greenhouses and picked up some red geraniums, some pink
with magenta throats wave petunias, salmon begonias for the planters
at the fish pond, and some little white/grey cascading filler plants,
Sorry, forget the name. I have dwarf yellow marigold seedlings about
3" tall - I started them late, and some ageratums that are about 1/2
inch tall, they are very tiny plants, hope they grow before summer is
over.
We have a perenial that isn't doing well.Our lovely violet clematis
has leaves only on the top. The lower branches look dead and have no
leaves or blooms. I think it is a virus in the soil, from what I've
read, but don't know what to do about it. Any ideas or help will be
gratefully accepted.
Hope you have a great day, and even better if you're a Mom.
Nan in DE