Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deadheading

Out of all my gardening mistakes I'm starting to think being lax about
deadheading may be right up there. Do you deadhead ?

Here is a short video.

http://video.about.com/gardening/deadheading-flowers.htm

I've been at Longwood Garden's late spring and seen forty young people
walk through the woods deadheading rhododendrons in an organized manner.

Still I didn't put it together as something I should do.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 17-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill[_13_] View Post

http://video.about.com/gardening/dea...ng-flowers.htm

I've been at Longwood Garden's late spring and seen forty young people
walk through the woods deadheading rhododendrons in an organized manner.

Still I didn't put it together as something I should do.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Hi Bill, there's a number of different reasons to deadhead. For one, old flowers may look untidy, but sometimes they make a nice feature, depends on the plant. Another reason to deadhead is to prolongue the flowering, what the plant is trying to do is reproduce & if you stop the flowers from turning into seeds the plant will put out flowers for longer. Third good reason, to stop the plant from self seeding all over the place. I deadhead while i'm weeding, it's just part of the tidying up process. Everyone's garden is different, it's up to you.

[IMG] code is On

Deadheading Clematis mfs1011 United Kingdom 2 04-07-2003 08:52 AM
Deadheading roses? Tono Gardening 4 30-06-2003 06:56 PM
Deadheading Mutabilis! Shiva Roses 7 28-06-2003 12:56 AM
deadheading news.verizon.net Gardening 10 19-05-2003 08:56 PM
Deadheading heliotrope Adam Schwartz Gardening 1 06-05-2003 11:44 PM