GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pulled plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/183615-pulled-plants.html)

Bill[_13_] 14-05-2009 07:59 PM

Pulled plants

Unless my long term is getting close to my short term I do not recall
the concept of pulled plants be bandied about here. 20 years ago I
could go to a local farmer not a nursery center or a big box place and
purchase a dozen tomatoes or sweet potatoes, onions etc. These were
heavily sowed in about 1 yard square and were planted thick. Never asked
for more than a dozen as the dozen was grabbed by hand as the soil was
loose and when it came to planting the count was more like a 30 count.
While there it was a time for conversation and perhaps buying one of
the wife's orchids. When crops were in it was a produce provider. Some
old navy guy with a German war bride.

Bill who also remembers the Russian Egg man and his large wife. Buy 2
dozen eggs and have a slice of cake maybe a shot of vodka too. This
less than a mile away. These folks had two sons that became MD's.

Bill musing

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.