Old 30-05-2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potatoes - when do I harvest?

This year is the first time I've planted potatoes, and need some
advice when to harvest. I live in the Dallas area and I planted some
"Yukon Gold" seed potatoes around mid march - in raised beds. Its
now the 30th of May... approximately 65-75 days since they were
planted. The top growth is still green and strong. When should I
harvest? Will the top growth die back, like onions?

My worry is that its getting pretty warm, and I dont want to
destroy my potatoes by waiting too long - if I need to harvest
before it gets too hot.

I'm thinking they will start to die back soon... but I was hoping
someone could confirm that.

THANKS! Happy Gardening!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.95 Beta 3
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 30-05-2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Beerme wrote:

This year is the first time I've planted potatoes, and need some
advice when to harvest. I live in the Dallas area and I planted some
"Yukon Gold" seed potatoes around mid march - in raised beds. Its
now the 30th of May... approximately 65-75 days since they were
planted. The top growth is still green and strong. When should I
harvest? Will the top growth die back, like onions?

My worry is that its getting pretty warm, and I dont want to
destroy my potatoes by waiting too long - if I need to harvest
before it gets too hot.

I'm thinking they will start to die back soon... but I was hoping
someone could confirm that.

THANKS! Happy Gardening!

We used to wait for the plant to start dying back. BUT there is no
reason not to take a peak and enjoy early spuds. Those few immature
always were the best. Plant more and harvest early ...sounds like a
slogan.

Bill but Texas heat may have a different culture issue.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Not all who wander are lost.

No need for drug or Alcohol commercials. Ronald Reagan Ok'ed

Old 31-05-2009, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Beerme" wrote in message

This year is the first time I've planted potatoes, and need some
advice when to harvest. I live in the Dallas area and I planted some
"Yukon Gold" seed potatoes around mid march - in raised beds. Its
now the 30th of May... approximately 65-75 days since they were
planted. The top growth is still green and strong. When should I
harvest? Will the top growth die back, like onions?

Potatoes can be harvested when the tops are still growing actively and if
they are harvested at this stage they are called 'new' potatoes. You can
also harvest when the tops die off and you can dig the whole lot or leave
tham in the ground and just harvest as you need them.

We are doing the latter now (it's early winter here) and I have to say that
I prefer to do this as the spuds then don't go green in storage.

If you don't want to dig the lot, and want to let them grow on till the tops
die off but just test them for size and taste you can always 'bandicoot'
them. Just wiggle your hand down into the soil and drag up enough spuds to
eat.

Old 31-05-2009, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:25:37 -0500, Beerme wrote:

This year is the first time I've planted potatoes, and need some
advice when to harvest. I live in the Dallas area and I planted some
"Yukon Gold" seed potatoes around mid march - in raised beds. Its
now the 30th of May... approximately 65-75 days since they were
planted. The top growth is still green and strong. When should I
harvest? Will the top growth die back, like onions?

My worry is that its getting pretty warm, and I dont want to
destroy my potatoes by waiting too long - if I need to harvest
before it gets too hot.

I'm thinking they will start to die back soon... but I was hoping
someone could confirm that.

THANKS! Happy Gardening!

Small potatoes can be taken after the plants bloom. For a larger
harvest, wait until the leaves start to die back at the end of the
season.