GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hornworms on tomato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/184352-hornworms-tomato-plants.html)

[email protected] 01-06-2009 11:44 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Bill who putters 01-06-2009 11:59 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

In article ,
Charles wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, wrote:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Chop sticks

410 or 20 Gage.

Hand pick with gloves works too.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Zootal[_4_] 02-06-2009 12:31 AM

hornworms on tomato plants

Just pick them off by hand unless you have a lot of them. If there are a
lot, use BT on them. It is a bacteria that kills them quite nicely and
should be available at your local hardware/garden store.

Phisherman[_3_] 02-06-2009 11:20 AM

hornworms on tomato plants

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, wrote:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

It is easy to handpick them off. If you see any with wasp eggs on
their back, let it alone. The wasps' larvae feed on the hornworms.
Checking for leaf damage will help locate the worms. One or two
worms won't kill your plants. If you can avoid using an insecticide,
all the better for the pollinating insects and beneficial spiders. One
companion plant for tomato is basil; it just so happens basil and
tomatoes taste good together, and the basil repels the tomato
hornworm.

Zootal[_4_] 03-06-2009 04:06 AM

hornworms on tomato plants

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, wrote:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

It is easy to handpick them off. If you see any with wasp eggs on
their back, let it alone. The wasps' larvae feed on the hornworms.
Checking for leaf damage will help locate the worms. One or two
worms won't kill your plants. If you can avoid using an insecticide,
all the better for the pollinating insects and beneficial spiders. One
companion plant for tomato is basil; it just so happens basil and
tomatoes taste good together, and the basil repels the tomato
hornworm.

Dang...I wish now I would have planted basil with my toms...I love both of
them...maybe I'll scatter some seeds in the general area and see what comes
up :)

Zootal[_4_] 03-06-2009 04:07 AM

hornworms on tomato plants

Charlie wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, spuked forth:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

I've read that they are a good compliment to fried green tomatoes, but
must be very gently cooked in order that they don't rupture. I'm
still working up my nerve for that one.

So, my recommendation is hand picking. I've also seen cardinals doing
a big number on the small ones.

Charlie

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm not sure I
want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it doesn't matter what they
eat...just the thought of stir fried THWs...ewww...

enigma 03-06-2009 02:21 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm
not sure I want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it
doesn't matter what they eat...just the thought of stir fried
THWs...ewww...

i wouldn't eat hornworms that have been feeding on tomato plants.
i've seen toads die from eating them & i would guess that it is
because of the toxins from the tomato leaves. hownworms that have
been eating ash or oak leaves are not toxic to toads.
BTW, it was a pretty quick death. less than 5 minutes from ingesting
the hornworm.
lee

Zootal[_4_] 03-06-2009 03:23 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

"enigma" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm
not sure I want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it
doesn't matter what they eat...just the thought of stir fried
THWs...ewww...

i wouldn't eat hornworms that have been feeding on tomato plants.
i've seen toads die from eating them & i would guess that it is
because of the toxins from the tomato leaves. hownworms that have
been eating ash or oak leaves are not toxic to toads.
BTW, it was a pretty quick death. less than 5 minutes from ingesting
the hornworm.
lee

Does cooking destroy the toxin?

Zootal[_4_] 03-06-2009 03:24 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:07:00 -0700, "Zootal"
spuked forth:

Charlie wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Enjoy! ;-)

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/hornworms.htm

Charlie

Tnx for the link - I forwarded it to my son - he is quite experimental when
it comes to eating things that crawl, creep, slither, etc. I expect he will
be quite interested in this one too (shudder...)

Johnny Borborigmi[_2_] 07-06-2009 10:36 PM

hornworms on tomato plants

On Jun 1, 6:44*pm, wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? *I
am a new gardener. *I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Thuricide is good, BT is harmless to humans and pets. Use it.

JonquilJan 08-06-2009 12:08 AM

hornworms on tomato plants

"Johnny Borborigmi" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Thuricide is good, BT is harmless to humans and pets. Use it.

Place hornworm on piece of board.
Place another piece of board on top of hornworm.
Press boards together.
Works for me.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying