Old 24-06-2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default dividing iris

My iris didn't bloom because they got hailed on. Should/can they be
divided? You're not supposed to divide them until after they bloom. The
hail-stomped were budding multitudinously, but does that count as blooming?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-06-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lobo" wrote in message
. ..
My iris didn't bloom because they got hailed on. Should/can they be
divided? You're not supposed to divide them until after they bloom. The
hail-stomped were budding multitudinously, but does that count as
blooming?

I divide iris at any time, even in full bloom, with it suffering no ill
effects. The best time to divide most corm/tuber plants is any time after a
good rain when the ground is wet and soft. These plants store most of their
energy in their roots so they don't become damaged very easily... I've dug
them up and just left them on the ground where they lay for more than two
weeks before planting them and they perked right up within a couple three
days. Iris is kinda like a potato, it can be laying around for many weeks
looking totally dead and all of a sudden just sprouts.

Old 24-06-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Lobo" wrote in message
. ..
My iris didn't bloom because they got hailed on. Should/can they be
divided? You're not supposed to divide them until after they bloom. The
hail-stomped were budding multitudinously, but does that count as
blooming?

I divide iris at any time, even in full bloom, with it suffering no ill
effects. The best time to divide most corm/tuber plants is any time after
a good rain when the ground is wet and soft. These plants store most of
their energy in their roots so they don't become damaged very easily...
I've dug them up and just left them on the ground where they lay for more
than two weeks before planting them and they perked right up within a
couple three days. Iris is kinda like a potato, it can be laying around
for many weeks looking totally dead and all of a sudden just sprouts.

Yes, they are very tough. But what I've heard is that if you divide them
before they bloom, the divided ones won't bloom the next year.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-06-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/24/2009 7:31 AM, Lobo wrote:
My iris didn't bloom because they got hailed on. Should/can they be
divided? You're not supposed to divide them until after they bloom. The
hail-stomped were budding multitudinously, but does that count as blooming?

I divide when bare-root rhizomes are available in local nurseries. I
generally wait until the second week of availability. That's the prime
time to plant them, so it is also a good time to divide them. They
should be replanted as soon as possible after dividing. I divide and
replant a clump all in one day, before doing the next clump.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
Dividing Iris? Greg Cooper Ponds 5 01-08-2005 07:16 PM
free iris in Atlanta area - FREE IRIS Sterling Gardening 4 08-06-2005 03:09 PM
ANN: 2 New Iris Videos from American Iris Society National Convention Bobby Baxter Gardening 0 28-05-2003 05:08 AM
tall iris?/MY IRIS jammer Gardening 0 17-04-2003 02:44 AM