Old 26-06-2009, 10:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bottle Brush - pruning?

We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?
Old 26-06-2009, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/26/2009 2:07 AM, Pete L wrote:
We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?

I had bottle brush in my previous home. This was Calleistemon citrinus
(also known as C. lanceolatus), not a species of Melaleuca. After
flowering, a branch would indeed grow longer. In a later season, that
branch would flower again. Since the seeds will remain attached to the
branch for a long time, I would occasionally have several bands of seeds
along the same branch.

On the other hand, if you cut the branch (even just the tip), the plant
will become more bushy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 27-06-2009, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 26, 8:14*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/26/2009 2:07 AM, Pete L wrote:

We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?

I had bottle brush in my previous home. *This was Calleistemon citrinus
(also known as C. lanceolatus), not a species of Melaleuca. *After
flowering, a branch would indeed grow longer. *In a later season, that
branch would flower again. *Since the seeds will remain attached to the
branch for a long time, I would occasionally have several bands of seeds
along the same branch.

So is that "bad" or "good"?

On the other hand, if you cut the branch (even just the tip), the plant
will become more bushy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

David, as you know, I'm also in SoCal, but coastal, so milder than
your mini-climate. My bottle brush has gone ape; sprawling at the
corner of the house. Few weeks ago, I cut off low-lying branches to
give the plant a bit of a trunk and make it look neater. What will
be the long-range results?

TIA

Persephone
Old 27-06-2009, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/27/2009 3:44 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:14 am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/26/2009 2:07 AM, Pete L wrote:

We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?

I had bottle brush in my previous home. This was Calleistemon citrinus
(also known as C. lanceolatus), not a species of Melaleuca. After
flowering, a branch would indeed grow longer. In a later season, that
branch would flower again. Since the seeds will remain attached to the
branch for a long time, I would occasionally have several bands of seeds
along the same branch.

So is that "bad" or "good"?

For the plant, it's okay. Whether it's aesthetically "bad" or "good" is
up to you.

On the other hand, if you cut the branch (even just the tip), the plant
will become more bushy.

David, as you know, I'm also in SoCal, but coastal, so milder than
your mini-climate. My bottle brush has gone ape; sprawling at the
corner of the house. Few weeks ago, I cut off low-lying branches to
give the plant a bit of a trunk and make it look neater. What will
be the long-range results?

I've seen Callistemon citrinus (spelled incorrectly in my prior post)
pruned to grow like a small tree. I don't like that appearance, but
(again) that's a matter of taste. (De gustibus non est desputandum.)

If you like the tree form, you might have to remove shoots from along
the "trunk" now and then. You should stake it because the trunk will
take some time to become sturdy. You might also want to keep the top
trimmed so that it does not become top-heavy and break during Santa Anna
winds. Just don't trim so much that you prevent flowering.

Old 28-06-2009, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 27, 10:23*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Thanks; very helpful. I'm not actually going for a "trunk" per se,
but rather
keeping branches from sprawling unsightly all over the pavement and
grass.
Will keep an eye out for the Santa Anas.

Pers.

Old 28-06-2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete L" wrote in message

We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?

This might help:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html

If you don't get many frosts, it'd probably be better off in the garden than
in a pot, but then again, many bottle brushes don't mind frost at all.

Old 28-06-2009, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 8:14 am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/26/2009 2:07 AM, Pete L wrote:

We live in Margate, UK. About 2 mins walk from the sea so get very few
frosts. We have a bottle brush in a pot and is about 18 ins high. My
question - when the red 'brush' dies down on a branch there is further
growth of leaves above. Should these leaves be cut off or will a new
brush appear?

I had bottle brush in my previous home. This was Calleistemon citrinus
(also known as C. lanceolatus), not a species of Melaleuca. After
flowering, a branch would indeed grow longer. In a later season, that
branch would flower again. Since the seeds will remain attached to the
branch for a long time, I would occasionally have several bands of seeds
along the same branch.

So is that "bad" or "good"?
________________________
It depends.

If you want to grow new plants, the nuts are good as they contain the seeds
of the plants - very, very fine seed, like dust. If you don't like the look
of the nuts, then it's probably not good.

I love the nuts and generally let them grow till they look leggy and then I
savage them.

[IMG] code is On

Wanted to know the details about Bottle brush plant..... kingslybaskar17 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 19-11-2008 04:24 PM
bottle brush plant tuck44 Gardening 5 06-05-2008 12:58 AM
Bottle Brush Harry 'Snapper' Organ Australia 1 30-10-2007 09:29 AM
Bottle brush losing berries Persephone Gardening 0 17-02-2007 05:50 AM
Bottle Brush Buckeye Question Gardening 0 20-04-2006 03:19 AM