GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants and Fire Good read (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185550-plants-fire-good-read.html)

Bill who putters 08-07-2009 02:52 PM

Plants and Fire Good read

NYT provide a interesting view of fire and plant life.

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/on-fire/

Sort of reminded me of some national parks letting fires burn here in
USA.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Cheryl Isaak 09-07-2009 12:28 PM

Plants and Fire Good read

On 7/8/09 9:52 AM, in article
, "Bill who putters"
wrote:

NYT provide a interesting view of fire and plant life.

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/on-fire/

Sort of reminded me of some national parks letting fires burn here in
USA.

Bill

When we were in Yosemite 20+ years ago, the rangers said the only way for
the sequoia cones to release their seed was to be burned.

Dioclese 10-07-2009 02:07 PM

Plants and Fire Good read

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
NYT provide a interesting view of fire and plant life.

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/on-fire/

Sort of reminded me of some national parks letting fires burn here in
USA.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I'm of the opinion that where people build homes, they need to allow for
natural burning and consequential wind when maintaining a fire break as
well. A small footprint of land for this is not feasible, the owner has to
have a large enough plot to do this. Hillside acreage, its even more
important. And, I'm of the opinion its the homeowner's responsibility to
maintain such a firebreak, not the local or state government in the case of
a fire approaching said property.
--
Dave

gardenplanters 23-07-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill who putters (Post 855122)
NYT provide a interesting view of fire and plant life.

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/on-fire/

Sort of reminded me of some national parks letting fires burn here in
USA.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Hi,
Three chapters on special interest topics - wetland and water plants, a rainforest garden, and fire and vegetation.