GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pale green leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185823-pale-green-leaves.html)

mario axisa 19-07-2009 11:23 AM

Pale green leaves

I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 20-07-2009 06:03 AM

Pale green leaves

mario axisa wrote:
I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

What plants?

What is your soil like?

What is you climate like?

David

mario axisa 20-07-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 857027)
mario axisa wrote:
I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

What plants?

What is your soil like?

What is you climate like?

David

The type of plants are decorative outdoor ones, like a Pittosporum and a Cycas Revoluta amongst others. The climate is a Mediterranean one, relatively hot and humid. It tends to be relatively dry most of the year.

As regards the soil, it tends to be pale brown in colour, does not seem 'rich' to me. From what I can guess, it is deficient in certain nutrients, iron amongst others. I would like to have a second opinion from an experienced gardener before adding fertiliser or anything else. Thanks.

gardenplanters 20-07-2009 12:55 PM

Welcome to Garden-Planters,

Phisherman[_3_] 20-07-2009 01:24 PM

Pale green leaves

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:23:54 +0100, mario axisa
wrote:

I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

A standard soil test should include nitrogen, phosphorous, potash and
pH. The results will tell you what you need to add after reviewing
the plant's specific requirements.

mario axisa 21-07-2009 07:20 AM

As I mentioned before, I am a beginner in these things. So please bear with me if I ask whether the mentioned ' standard soil test', is something which I can buy a kit to do myself, or is it a test to be done by a professional in this field? Thanks