Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default mouse infestation

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
Actually, I'm dead serious about killing mice. It seems like mice have
moved into our 92 year old home with a vengeance. It started about 2
months ago, as it got cold outside. I was able to use traditional
mousetraps to kill a lot of them, but then that petered out as the
remaining ones seemed to keep to the walls more, and not bother with the
traps, no matter what tempting morsels I might put in them.

About a month ago, I finished installing clear plastic panels over the
open joists in the kitchen ceiling. I had installed tube fluorescent
lights up there. Now I notice that in just the past week, there are
probably 60 mouse droppings up there on top of the plastic, and I can also
see yellow where they have been taking ****. This is right up above our
kitchen stove.

I'm wondering if our mice could be numerous because my sister, who lives
on the other side of our duplex, is a packrat. She tends to leave things
lay around, including food, which probably gives them a perfect breeding
ground. They finally got into her foodstuffs so bad that she was forced
to make some changes, though. Still, I believe they have plenty of hiding
places in the boxes piled up over there.

Obviously, this is a serious problem. I want the mice dead. I've been
thinking of either fumigation or poison of some kind.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I'd like to get
something that I can put all over in hidden areas, which will eradicate
these things.

I've had problems with small field mice in my house (garage) in the winter
time twice before. I've found that removing all food and nesting materials
along with placing spring traps around the garage will get rid of any mice
in just a few days.

I store grass seeds and any other possible food items that are in my garage
in tightly covered plastic containers and place any compost, potting soil
and other possible nesting materials including rags and papers in large
covered plastic trash cans.

I've not had a mouse problem since I started doing this.

Freckles

Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 22:37:46 -0600, "Freckles"
wrote:

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
[...]

Perfect. Eliminating the creature comforts eliminates the
creatures... and you don't need traps around a garage, baiting the
traps negates a lot of your efforts in eliminating food. If one
places any food about mice will come... naturally if you bait a trap
with food mice will come and you'll trap some... you trapped mice that
wouldn't have come there had you not put out food baited traps, think
about it. My neighbor has a small rabbit hutch outside, she complains
how she's plagued with mice... well what does she expect with a
constant supply of rabbit food and droppings.... I think that she
purposely doesn't run a clean rabbit hutch just so the mice will come
so she will have something to complain about to anyone who will
listen, complaining about mice constitutes her social life. She's
over a thousand feet away so I don't mind, she's my Pied Piper, she
lures the rodents way over to her area. And people who poison the
rodents in turn poison the rodent's natural enemies, especially the
raptors. The raptors don't multiply anywhere near as quickly as
rodents... even a pinhead should be able to figure out that poison
bait doesn't work and only does severe harm. If poison bait worked
there wouldn't be a constant stream of mice, now would there. The
raptors are far more efficient mouse catchers... you don't see them
because mostly they work the night shift, and coincidently that's
mostly when mice scurry about, imagine that. People have mice about
for three reasons and three reasons only, they're dumb (mice are
obviously smarter), lazy (mice are very hard working), and filthy
(mice are actually very fastidious, they eat every crumb).