Old 26-02-2010, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ot Ping Farml

From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2010.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

13. Australian War Memorial: Of Love and War
http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/loveandwar/

The Australian War Memorial's online version of their exhibit Of Love and
War illustrates how war impacts the availability of potential partners
(especially from other countries), courtship, the sense of romantic
urgency that war creates, and marriage. *A reader's comment on the blog
"Wedding Dresses, Part 3" sums up well what this exhibition is about in
his comment regarding the display of wedding gowns in the exhibit: "Not
the sort of item you usually associate with war, but on reflection at
that time many sweethearts got married before the men went off to war
and it helps paint a balanced picture of the times." *Visitors should
explore the themes the exhibit, which are divided up into: "First
Glance", "Separation" and "The Future". *Each theme has a multitude of
sub-themes, including "Romance and Recruitment", "Loneliness" "Farewell
and Fears" and "We Regret to Inform You". *Visitors shouldn't miss the
"Letters" sub-theme under "Separation", as there are several delicately
embroidered silk greeting cards that were made in France in World War I.
[KMG]

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav

Old 27-02-2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2010.
[...]

Thank you Bill who putters. The AWM is a wonderful place and has always had
wonderful exhibitions. I haven't seen that one but have read reviews on it.
I spent a considerable amount of time there reading Unit war diaries from
WWI.