Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-04-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default best grass for few mowings?

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony
topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking
front lawn that I've ever seen.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds,
crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it
all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio
area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water,
or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I
just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe
doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!