Old 18-04-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default best grass for few mowings?

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony
topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking
front lawn that I've ever seen.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds,
crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it
all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio
area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water,
or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I
just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe
doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!
Old 18-04-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:51:10 -0400, Ohioguy wrote:

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony
topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking
front lawn that I've ever seen.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds,
crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it
all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio
area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water,
or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I
just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe
doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!

For your location Kentucky Bluegrass grows well in your area. But,
forget about having a "nice" lawn without doing regular work (mowing,
weed control, fertilizing, watering, soil testing, etc.) Buy the
best seed you can find and with the highest weed-free percentage.
Fertilize in the fall and treat weeds in spring. Overseeding every
year will reduce the weeds, a lot.
Old 19-04-2010, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony
topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking
front lawn that I've ever seen.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds,
crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it
all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio
area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water,
or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I
just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe
doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!

Artificial Turf. No watering, fertilizing, mowing, weeding and looks
nice and green in the winter. Also goes well with felt flowers in the
outside hanging pots and looks great in the middle of winter.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 19-04-2010, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

The front yard of our new place had 2 medium-small trees, stony
topsoil (subsoil, really) with lots of pebbles, and the sparsest looking
front lawn that I've ever seen.

Maybe you could look for ideas that would please you, other than a lawn,
that would be less labor intensive. Check to see if your local schools,
city, or county has a garden advisor or librarian, who may be able to
give you alternatives or places to look for alternatives.

Trees are coming out by midsummer. There are so many weeds,
crabgrass and other junk out there that I'm probably going to roundup it
all, add some topsoil, & start over this fall.

Round-up, contrary to Monsanto's propaganda, isn't good for your soil's
ecology. The weeds that are there are the types of plants that try to
heal the soil by adding nutrients to the soil. As they enrich the soil,
left to their own devices, other species would arrive, and then others
as the soil is transformed by the increase in moisture, nutrients, and
microbes, and the succession of plants that will develop there. This
would all end at some later date in an evergreen, climax forest.
Just as wine is grape juice on it's way to become vinegar, you want to
make the conditions of your yard amenable to a comfortable and pleasing
environment.

Top soil is an iffy proposition. You may be buying someone else's
problems. Top soil is easy enough to make. Scratch some rye grass or
buckwheat seeds into your soil. They produce prodigious amounts of
roots, making the soil easier to work, and more penetrable to roots of
plants.

A little more ambitious, would be to apply "lasagna gardening" (google
it for more information) to a portion of your yard. This is no-dig
gardening.
Step 1)
Spread manure over an area of the yard that you immediately want to
rehabilitate (ideally 18 lbs of chicken manure, 3 lbs rock phosphate,
and if you have it, 1/2 inch of wood ash/100 sq. ft.) cover with
newspaper or cardboard, and then cover the newspaper with mulch (leaves,
straw, ect.), and water thoroughly and keep damp for the next couple of
weeks. Then plant or . . .

Step 2)
if you aren't in a big rush, I would then cast rye grass or buckwheat
seeds on the mulch and water in. Grow at least one crop of rye or
buckwheat. Buckwheat is a pretty little plant, and very healthy for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Fagopyrum+esculentum
At this point, you have healthy soil (at least the top few inches), and
now you can layout your yard as you wish. If you decide that you want to
grow a vegetable garden (Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you
to plant a garden.* ~Orson Scott Card), there is one last step you may
want to consider, and that is to double-dig the garden area. This step
isn't critical, but will speed up the developement of your garden soil.
It is a onetime deal, the first and last-time for digging.
http://www.wikihow.com/Double-Dig-a-Garden
or go to the source and check out
"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...l=search-alias
%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0
from your local library.

Afterwards, repeat "Step 1" above each spring, and keep beds mulched.

However, I'm not certain what variety to plant. I live in SW Ohio
area, and am mostly desiring something that doesn't need a lot of water,
or mowing regularly. I don't tend to water or fertilize my lawn. I
just want it to grow slow and not look like the worst lawn on the block.

Can anyone recommend a variety that is short, slow growing, and maybe
doesn't require all that much water? Thanks!

Artificial Turf. No watering, fertilizing, mowing, weeding and looks
nice and green in the winter. Also goes well with felt flowers in the
outside hanging pots and looks great in the middle of winter.

--
- Billy