Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Registered User

Default Overseeding my Lawn --HELP

Hello please forgive me ive been living in my house for 3 years now and not really bothered with the garden now ive got the urged to make it look good.

Im am quit surprised how complex some aspects are , now im a complete novice but i would like to overseed the lawn as its balding and not looking ver healthy could someone help me with the following

.Which Seed ? im in Ashford kent my garden is 90 percent in the sun
ive read alot about getting the right seed to suit your climate

should i fertilize before seeding or just simply spread the seeds without any extras or will genral compost mixture help

the house is only 3 years old and like many new garden the builders didnt exactly spend long preparing so u dig down 7 inches u hit the rubble etc

im sorry im a complete novice , ive search the net for an idiot guide to overseeding just cant find anything

any help is much appreciated
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
smileyGrass

I'd trust local garden shop's advice on what seed is best for your
area.
Builders here in US tend to use annual rye for quick greening but
eventually lawn looks like you describe.
You may need to amend soil but at least scratch it up for seed to find
places to anchor to and maybe add a thin layer of top soil.
Keep moist until you get good growth and then you can fertilize. Talk
to area gardeners. Where I live in US fall is best time to seed but
in your milder climate, any time may be good.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Registered User

Best time to seed is in the fall or real early spring so it catches the rain. Turn under compost or mulch before seeding and then spread some bone meal then seed. Top dress with straw to keep the birds away. Or purchase sod.

[IMG] code is On

Overseeding my Lawn --HELP smileyGrass Gardening 0 07-05-2010 03:47 PM
top-dressing mix when overseeding a lawn? J99 United Kingdom 0 04-09-2004 11:59 PM
Overseeding a lawn sherwindu Gardening 8 08-08-2004 05:09 AM
overseeding lawn LFR Gardening 0 19-04-2004 05:02 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM