Old 19-05-2010, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Making a soaker hose.

I need a short length of soaker hose. Can I take a regular hose and
drill holes into it to make one?
If so, how far apart and what diameter hole do I need.
Richard
Old 19-05-2010, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

richardg wrote:

I need a short length of soaker hose.

What's a "short length"???

Can I take a regular hose and
drill holes into it to make one?

Soaker hoses are not very expensive... seems stupid to ruin a
perfectly good hose instead... and drilling a bunch of holes won't
make it a soaker hose.

Old 19-05-2010, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

richardg wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
richardg wrote:

I need a short length of soaker hose.

What's a "short length"???

Can I take a regular hose and
drill holes into it to make one?

Soaker hoses are not very expensive... seems stupid to ruin a
perfectly good hose instead... and drilling a bunch of holes won't
make it a soaker hose.

I need an 10 foot length so that it waters the back of my raised bed.

How do you water the rest of the raised bed... makes more sense to
water it all the same way. Anyway, soaker hoses can be clamped closed
at any point.

Please do not top post.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 19, 9:01 pm, wrote:
it might work better to drill out a 10' piece of PVC. bury under the mulch. the
secret is a filter on the hose and ramping the pressure down so there isnt a series
of water jets.

Andy comments:

I use this PVC pipe technique to water my raised beds. Also to
water small trees
I am encouraging to grow along a fence line.
When I want to plug up a hole, I just hand twist a drywall screw
into it.
Very inexpensive and a 5 gal per minute flow rate will easily drive
forty
feet of PVC with holes every 6 inches.

I have also laid PVC around the perimeter of my house to water
shrubs
and flower beds. Saves a LOT of time, dirt cheap, and practically
foolproof.
I use about 1/16" holes and drill them where the shrubs or flowers
are
located. They can be plugged up as above and other holes drilled as
the landscaping changes..... Seems to last forever and no chance of
catastrophic leaks as when a soaker hose blows out...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 22-05-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

On May 19, 9:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Andy "Naked in Eureka" mean anything to you ?

Some aging hippie music many stars.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?